Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #1

1973 24' Argosy 24
Pensacola , Florida
Water heater repair or replace

Hello all!

The Atwood 6 gallon water heater in my '72 Argosy 24 is dead. The tank is in good condition and is holding water, I have gas to the control unit, but the pilot light won't light. My question: is the control unit available or do I scrap the tank and replace?

This is a GREAT forum and I would be totally lost without it!
ddsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsouth
Hello all!

The Atwood 6 gallon water heater in my '72 Argosy 24 is dead. The tank is in good condition and is holding water, I have gas to the control unit, but the pilot light won't light. My question: is the control unit available or do I scrap the tank and replace?

This is a GREAT forum and I would be totally lost without it!
DD,

You can probably find the replacement parts. I would replace the electrode, thermocouple and the burner assembly of you can find them. If not, I have a 'new' take-off Atwood 6 gal. heater for sale that just came out of my '06 CCD. It's a DSI model so no more pilot to fool with. Check the classifieds .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Reality Check

There's pros and cons to everything. Your water heater, if original, is 30 years old. Even if the tank holds water now, how long can you reasonably expect it to last? And then there's a possibility of a pinhole propane leak - deadly.

You may save a few bucks, but you may only get one more season out of your original heater AND you'll probably spend more time trying to fix the old one than installing the new one. Do notice the previous post, there's a brand new one for sale!

In addition to the safety benefits, with a new one you'll never be standing outside in a c-c-c-cold rain trying to light the damn water heater. Electronic ignition GOOD!

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
There's pros and cons to everything. Your water heater, if original, is 30 years old. Even if the tank holds water now, how long can you reasonably expect it to last? And then there's a possibility of a pinhole propane leak - deadly.

You may save a few bucks, but you may only get one more season out of your original heater AND you'll probably spend more time trying to fix the old one than installing the new one. Do notice the previous post, there's a brand new one for sale!

In addition to the safety benefits, with a new one you'll never be standing outside in a c-c-c-cold rain trying to light the damn water heater. Electronic ignition GOOD!

Paula Ford
Thanks for the back-up Paula! I didn't want to seem pushy !
Old 06-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
I,m about in the same boat. I want a gas/electric replacement but am having problems finding an electric ignition.
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO Bob
I,m about in the same boat. I want a gas/electric replacement but am having problems finding an electric ignition.
Let me know what you need. I have access to both Atwood and Suburban. They both make 6 gal and 10 gal models in pilot, DSI or DSI/electric combo models. Plus if you want the very best, the RV-500 by Precision Temp is a DSI, LP fired tankless on-demand water heater that never runs out of hot water because it heats in instantaneously. I just put one in my 19CCD and had one in my previous MoHo for 5 years! Great unit!!

I can get you any of the above in short order at the 'Forum Courtesy Discount' price. E-mail me at lew@gorge.net for any pricing discussions. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:31 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Water Heaters

The original models are replaced by the Atwood G6A-7 for a pilot lit only water heater and a G6A-8E for the electronic ignition, both are 6 gallon, slighlty different model # if you need the 10 gallon, also available are water heaters with electric elements or motor-aid (motorhome coolant water passed through a coil inside the heater).
Zoom
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Just installed a new direct ignition in my 87 Sovereign.

Be sure you have room for a elec heat element.

I would not have been able to replace my 6gal direct ign gas model with the elec element due to no clearance to the front/side close to the toilet. Airstream's installation on the 80's models is really poor engineering. You need a shoehorn to fit even a direct replacement unit.

The plumbing will be a pain as well. Hopefully, they cut your inside opening the same size as the outside wall opening. They did not in mine. Fun.

If Lew's is a direct ign gas only unit, it should fit fine and I bet the price is right.

I bought mine in a hurry and missed out on the one Lew has.

I bought off ebay, power seller named Colaws in or close to Greensboro, NC
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Gilroy , California
New Airstreamer needs help (and a water heater)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Let me know what you need. I have access to both Atwood and Suburban. They both make 6 gal and 10 gal models in pilot, DSI or DSI/electric combo models. Plus if you want the very best, the RV-500 by Precision Temp is a DSI, LP fired tankless on-demand water heater that never runs out of hot water because it heats in instantaneously. I just put one in my 19CCD and had one in my previous MoHo for 5 years! Great unit!!

I can get you any of the above in short order at the 'Forum Courtesy Discount' price. E-mail me at lew@gorge.net for any pricing discussions. Thanks!
HI Lew-
I also need a new water heater but can't find anything that will fit the sidewall cutout. The old Bolen will leave a much bigger hole than anything I have found will fill. Do you know a solution? Any answer would be greatly appreciated. The refurb of my 1969 GT is seeming less fun.

Dick
dickwhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickwhite1
HI Lew-
I also need a new water heater but can't find anything that will fit the sidewall cutout. The old Bolen will leave a much bigger hole than anything I have found will fill. Do you know a solution? Any answer would be greatly appreciated. The refurb of my 1969 GT is seeming less fun.

Dick
Dick,

As I recall, Bolen was purchesed by Atwood a while ago. There are fit kits available from Suburban that are used when replacing an Atwood with a Suburban. Measure your opening and let me know what the size is. We can proced from there. That fit kit might help you.

I had to do some 'surgery' on my CCD when I installed an RV-500 tankless water heater in place of the standard Atwood 6 gal. If you have to do it, it's not really hard....you just have to be really good with a rivet gun and Sikaflex in the caulking tube!!!