Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Water heater Removal question

I have read many articles and forums about removing the old bowen water heater (73 overlander). Some people dismantled the cabinet to remove it. Other people went through the outside door. I don't have a problem removing the water heater but I have never drilled rivets or used a rivet gun so I am not to excited about taking the bathroom cabinet apart. I have read where people have removed the outside door and pulled it out through that hole. I have read about snipping and cuttings and it all seems like that can be done also. My airstream is all together and the interior is in great shape. I would like to see a step by step video, or step by step pictures of the removal process. I have seen the pics of the door off and the heater out in several internet mediums.

My question is when I take off the outside door and dismantel the plumbing and gas will it come out through the hole with out cutting aluminum?

My other options is paying for a technician to do the procedure for about $500 dollars. I am pretty handy but I do not want to cut aluminum. I find the hot water heater removal perplexing.

SIU Bound
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound
I have read many articles and forums about removing the old bowen water heater (73 overlander).....My question is when I take off the outside door and dismantel the plumbing and gas will it come out through the hole with out cutting aluminum?
I would think you would HAVE to take it out from the outside.

Do a search here within the Forums on "Water Heater Removal"

See this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f219...ign-14737.html
Posts #42 and #43.

The Atwood's have 4 screws on each side, plus the screws holding the door hinges on the bottom. The new water heater already had holes in the outer flanges that exactly matched the 30 year old water heater it replaced. You may have to partially disassemble the interior to get to the two water lines. One gas line from the exterior - access varies. I have to beleive that the Bowen procedure is very similar.

No cutting required on the Atwood/Atwood replacement.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Monterey Bay , California
SIU,
Mine slipped out of the 72 without cutting. After removing screws, rivets, vulkem, putty tape, corner brackets, etc. However, I didn't have a Bowen and I removed the interior cabinet prior to H20 heater coming out. I gutted mine. It has been quite a while since I did the job but from what I remember it is pretty much a straight forward job. Be patient and take your time. Plenty of other members have also performed this minor surgery. If you want a professional job with out the dirty fingernails and four letter (never mind), I guess you have to shell out the five bills. I don't know if I helped you any but it can be done. Good luck.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Just unhook the water lines from the tank inside the cabinet. Turn the gas off and unhook the line from the heater within the outside tank housing. You should be able to push the gas line into the floor enough for the tank to clear - if not - under the trailer the line will be anchored to the belly with a rubber lined clamp. Loosen the clamp and pull the line down.

From there just take the screws out of the outside frame and slide that puppy out. You may need to use a wide putty knife to loosen the sealer between the trailer and tank frame. When you reinstall - you may want to consider putting a tank bypass on the inside lines (if it's not already there) to make winterizing easier. Have fun..!
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
I have never drilled rivets or used a rivet gun
Not to worry, just use a centerpunch to dimple the center, drill reasonably straight the approximate depth of the rivet head, knock off the weakened head with a cold chisel (usually 1 tap) drive the rivet stem through into the body with a punch and hammer. I ordered a "rivet removal tool" to speed up the job and found it more trouble than it was worth. A good quality blind rivet tool should handle the install. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
My other options is paying for a technician to do the procedure for about $500 dollars. SIU Bound
If you are paying a tech $500 find another tech. It should cost about $200
Old 11-29-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I am ready to start

I am going to take off a a piece of aluminum by drilling the rivets and pull it. I am going to do this. Thanks for your help

SIU Bound
Old 11-29-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Curious

What rivets are you removing to take the tank out? you should be able to just unhook the lines and take the screws out of the outer frame that hold it to the trailer skin? Photo of the rear access of a newly replaced tank in a 71 Overlander. Good luck with your project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 075.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	50095  
Old 11-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Hot water heater removal reply

I have a airstream dent guard (aluminum wraps around trailer looks decorative with airstream). It comes with the trailer. It covers the bottom part of the water heater door frame. It just looks like it is not going to slide out without taking it off. I will try . I am attaching a picture of the door so you can see the trim that covers the bottom part of the door frame.

This is my first time trying to attach a picture so hopefully it will come out
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Measure carefully as the new Atwoods are deeper than the old Bowen. I don't know where yours is located but mine was under the sink and the hard furnace ducts interfered with the new heater.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Forgot about those. Great thing is they are pop rivets and will be hidden by the blue trim. Just pull the blue vinyl loose for about 3 or 4 feet and drill the rivets with a 1/8th bit. If they don't start spinning on you just hit them in the center then take a punch and pry the heads off. I actually took mine loose to the rear of the wheel well and about a foot to the right of the tank housing lip - taped it with painters tape to the body so it's out of the way.

When you put the rub rail back - seal the top edge with Parr Bond or Alcoa gutter seal so water doesn't run down behind it into the belly. You can do this....!!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Heater placement

My heater is located on the left rear side. It sits under the bathroom cabinet. I spoke with a airstream renovator and he said he only uses atwoods. I will make sure I take measurements.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
I have a airstream dent guard (aluminum wraps around trailer looks decorative with airstream). It comes with the trailer. It covers the bottom part of the water heater door frame. It just looks like it is not going to slide out without taking it off. I will try . I am attaching a picture of the door so you can see the trim that covers the bottom part of the door frame.

This is my first time trying to attach a picture so hopefully it will come out
I'm having the same issue on my 76 Sov. Did you have to remove trim???
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
From there just take the screws out of the outside frame and slide that puppy out. You may need to use a wide putty knife to loosen the sealer between the trailer and tank frame. When you reinstall - you may want to consider putting a tank bypass on the inside lines (if it's not already there) to make winterizing easier. Have fun..!

Name:	PC230060.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	51402

No sliding this puppy out. Heater had to be removed from inside. There was nothing easy about this project. Jackson Center puts the outer skin on after installing the water heater...at least in my 76 Sov. There is 1 1/2" drop from exterior trim to plywood floor where water heater sits. It would not slide out. Did not have to remove exterior trim, however, I do not have new water heater yet..so I don't know how easy install will be.

Name:	PC230057.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	51403

Here's what I'm left with.
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Never seen that set up before. If the outer skin was over the tank flange I really doubt the Mothership did it. The units are designed to be easy to install and remove (well relatively easy). Your new one will have a flange for fastening it to the OUTER skin. The drop between the rub rail and the floor bottom is about the same as ours was - so you should expect you'll have to pop the rail loose. That had to be a bear to get out. Better luck with the install.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Skype™ to u2bewell
Hot water heater is failing?

Looking into replacing it but I got the same problem as most of you guys. I dont see how its going to slide out as I have the decorative band going over the bottom edge of the heater.
Dismanteling it from inside seems to be an outrageous job.
I live full time in my airtsream so I need to fix this problem quiiiiickly ;-)
Heeeelp.

The unit works for just a little bit but then gas starts spurting in and out then unit quits. Would it be the regulator or can I just change the small tub with the air slider instead of changing the whole thing? and if I have to change the whole thing which Atwood model do you recommand for this airstream, I can't see any where if its a 6 or 10 gals.
Thank you for your inputs.

1972 overlander 27'
Santa Rosa, CA

Elizabeth
u2bewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:24 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Skype™ to u2bewell
How did you deal with the band at the bottom of the heater? did the heater eventually sled out?
I got the same problem?
u2bewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
My old Bowen came out with the door from the outside. The door seems to be part of the structure. In any case I have to do some slight modifications for the suburban that I am going to install. First I have to finish runing the pex. The blue band can be drilled out and peeled back.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Any advice on how to drain the water heater? My "new" 68 Caravel has been completely tarped for a week - it's way too cold here to work on the leaks - and there is still a wet floor under the water heater. The water heater has rusted places on the side, so I'm fairly sure it's leaking, but first I need to get the floor dry and assess the damage.

Suggestions on removing the water heater from a Caravel will be my next question, I'm afraid.
fraubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraubear
Any advice on how to drain the water heater? My "new" 68 Caravel has been completely tarped for a week - it's way too cold here to work on the leaks - and there is still a wet floor under the water heater. The water heater has rusted places on the side, so I'm fairly sure it's leaking, but first I need to get the floor dry and assess the damage.

Suggestions on removing the water heater from a Caravel will be my next question, I'm afraid.
The heater should have a drain plug (or valve) on the bottom. Disconnecting the outflow line will partially drain the heater. Make sure your pump is off when you disconnect the lines or open the drain valve. If you forget you will quickly understand why...especially if it is cold.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #20
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Thanks for water heater advice.

I'm very new at this and finding lots of things that need to be done. I can't get to the floor damage until I find out where the water leak originates.

Does this (attached file) look like a leaky heater to you? Also, I've never seen a water heater tank like this one. Is this just a cover over the tank or the tank itself?

Thanks to all the experts for sharing their knowledge.

C
fraubear is offline   Reply With Quote