Old 12-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Skype™ to u2bewell
Hot water heater is failing?

Looking into replacing it but I got the same problem as most of you guys. I dont see how its going to slide out as I have the decorative band going over the bottom edge of the heater.
Dismanteling it from inside seems to be an outrageous job.
I live full time in my airtsream so I need to fix this problem quiiiiickly ;-)
Heeeelp.

The unit works for just a little bit but then gas starts spurting in and out then unit quits. Would it be the regulator or can I just change the small tub with the air slider instead of changing the whole thing? and if I have to change the whole thing which Atwood model do you recommand for this airstream, I can't see any where if its a 6 or 10 gals.
Thank you for your inputs.

1972 overlander 27'
Santa Rosa, CA

Elizabeth

Old 12-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Santa Rosa , California
Send a message via Skype™ to u2bewell
How did you deal with the band at the bottom of the heater? did the heater eventually sled out?
I got the same problem?

Old 12-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
My old Bowen came out with the door from the outside. The door seems to be part of the structure. In any case I have to do some slight modifications for the suburban that I am going to install. First I have to finish runing the pex. The blue band can be drilled out and peeled back.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #18
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Any advice on how to drain the water heater? My "new" 68 Caravel has been completely tarped for a week - it's way too cold here to work on the leaks - and there is still a wet floor under the water heater. The water heater has rusted places on the side, so I'm fairly sure it's leaking, but first I need to get the floor dry and assess the damage.

Suggestions on removing the water heater from a Caravel will be my next question, I'm afraid.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraubear
Any advice on how to drain the water heater? My "new" 68 Caravel has been completely tarped for a week - it's way too cold here to work on the leaks - and there is still a wet floor under the water heater. The water heater has rusted places on the side, so I'm fairly sure it's leaking, but first I need to get the floor dry and assess the damage.

Suggestions on removing the water heater from a Caravel will be my next question, I'm afraid.
The heater should have a drain plug (or valve) on the bottom. Disconnecting the outflow line will partially drain the heater. Make sure your pump is off when you disconnect the lines or open the drain valve. If you forget you will quickly understand why...especially if it is cold.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #20
Fraubear

1968 17' Caravel
Noblesville , Indiana
Thanks for water heater advice.

I'm very new at this and finding lots of things that need to be done. I can't get to the floor damage until I find out where the water leak originates.

Does this (attached file) look like a leaky heater to you? Also, I've never seen a water heater tank like this one. Is this just a cover over the tank or the tank itself?

Thanks to all the experts for sharing their knowledge.

C