Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2003 22' International CCD
2004 28' Safari
Sahuarita , Arizona
Water Heater Removal

I have a 2016 Flying Cloud 25 RB that I need to replace the heating element in the water heater.

Can anyone provide guidance on the removal of the W/H to get at the element? Do the water lines have quick disconnects on the unit or can it be pulled out far enough to get at the element?

It is an Atwood GF-9EXT.

Thanks, Terry
AzAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Though I have not seen your particular installation, I have removed them from the inside, and carried them out the door. There are no "quick disconnects" per se, just standard fittings.
But remember, the water heater is installed fairly early during the build process, and then bunks, and closets, and partitions are installed around it.
Hope this helps.
Others with direct knowledge of this Airstream may chime in with better information.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2004 28' Safari
Sahuarita , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
Though I have not seen your particular installation, I have removed them from the inside, and carried them out the door. There are no "quick disconnects" per se, just standard fittings.
But remember, the water heater is installed fairly early during the build process, and then bunks, and closets, and partitions are installed around it.
Hope this helps.
Others with direct knowledge of this Airstream may chime in with better information.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this has to be removed out the side of the trailer. Unable to get to the rear of the unit while installed. T
Old 10-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's no different than a residential water heater. It's directly plumbed into the trailer. You cut the pipes to pull it out and re-do them when it goes back in.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2004 28' Safari
Sahuarita , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

It's no different than a residential water heater. It's directly plumbed into the trailer. You cut the pipes to pull it out and re-do them when it goes back in.

Bob

Well, the issue is that you cannot get to the rear of the unit (where the pipes are) without removing the unit. The question is can the unit be pulled out far enough to get to the plumbing/wiring in the rear? Thanks, Terry
Old 10-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have not done one that new. I have removed WH from 2 older Airstreams from outside the trailer. But I managed to get to the plumbing from the inside in both cases. There was no way these 2 would have "pulled out" without disruption the plumbing and the wiring. Both were fairly accessible under a bed and through a outside storage compartment. I cut the pipes off to the side of the units and redid the plumbing right at the back of the WH before I slide the unit in. I did the wiring from the back.

Just so we will know. Are we dealing with a tanked WH or a tankless?

I never use the electric heating element anyway. Would you consider just leaving it broken and running on propane? Propane works better and I think is more efficient in cost. (I pay for my electricity at Florida rates)
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2004 28' Safari
Sahuarita , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I have not done one that new. I have removed WH from 2 older Airstreams from outside the trailer. But I managed to get to the plumbing from the inside in both cases. There was no way these 2 would have "pulled out" without disruption the plumbing and the wiring. Both were fairly accessible under a bed and through a outside storage compartment. I cut the pipes off to the side of the units and redid the plumbing right at the back of the WH before I slide the unit in. I did the wiring from the back.

Just so we will know. Are we dealing with a tanked WH or a tankless?

I never use the electric heating element anyway. Would you consider just leaving it broken and running on propane? Propane works better and I think is more efficient in cost. (I pay for my electricity at Florida rates)

I am with you on this. I never use the electric element either so I am just going to stick with the propane. That is all my earlier units had anyway. Thanks. Terry
Old 10-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I thought that the water heater only heat with propane alone. Am I wrong? I was confused until I read the last few posts and it sounds like you have 2-way water heater (runs on electricity OR propane)?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
I got it after a research, you got a 2-way water heater!

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Big Apology!

Quote:
Hope this helps.
As we all know, the water heater is installed (and removed and replaced) from the outside!
Getting it unattached and reattached to water lines, electrical, and propane is an inside job, which may be greatly impeded by built in cabinets, partitions, beds, etc.
That said, I would remove it and make it my winter bench project, unless you are able to use it all year long in Sahuarita.
I enjoy using electricity instead of propane when I have hookups. It's a much quieter way to heat water and it allows you to conserve propane.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Whistler , British Columbia
Quote:
As we all know, the water heater is installed (and removed and replaced) from the outside!
Getting it unattached and reattached to water lines, electrical, and propane is an inside job, which may be greatly impeded by built in cabinets, partitions, beds, etc.
That said, I would remove it and make it my winter bench project, unless you are able to use it all year long in Sahuarita.
I enjoy using electricity instead of propane when I have hookups. It's a much quieter way to heat water and it allows you to conserve propane.
Any chance you know what wires go to what wires?
TylerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzAirstream View Post
Well, the issue is that you cannot get to the rear of the unit (where the pipes are) without removing the unit. The question is can the unit be pulled out far enough to get to the plumbing/wiring in the rear? Thanks, Terry
Not sure of your exact install, but are you sure there isn't a hidden trap door or cabinet back to remove? To access the back ( inside)
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You would think so, but not in my model. There is a panel inside that could have been installed as a pullout, but instead it has 4 pocket screws and you cannot get to the screw heads to remove them. If I have to work on my electric again, I will cut the screws with my Sawzall.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Looking at photos inside and outside, I'd say the WH is under the set of drawers next to the bed or under the bed. Access by either removing the bottom drawer or from in the storage panel under the bed.
The Water Heater door is right up against the access door under the bed, so perhaps the bed is more likely. Outside pictures show it aligned with the window edge.
That's my guess. Mine is a 26' and it's under the wardrobe floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	432107-p-2000.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	371026  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote