Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Water Heater Red Light on in Electric Mode

We just purchased our 3rd Airstream, a 2017 FB 27 Flying Cloud, and are on the road to test everything. There seems to be a problem with the water heater indicator. We are using only the electric heater. It seems to work well. However the red light comes on frequently and stays on. To correct this, I need to turn off the electric heater for several hours. When I switch it back on, all is well for 2-12 hrs, then the light comes back on. The heater manual only mentions the red light staying on when the propane option for the heater is not working properly. I know the propane switch is in the off position because I have it taped down since it is so close to the light switch.

Can anyone know why we're having this problem?

Tom Larson
Tom Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I think it might also come on like you're describing if it overheats and shuts down. It could be a problem with the thermostat or something else in the electrical part of the water heater. You should have it checked out under your warranty.

We turn ours off when we don't need it, and overnight, since the water stays hot for a long time. That might not be true in cold weather.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
We had a problem with the light on and it turned out to be the main board was faulty. You are under warranty so you should be able to get t done at the dealer.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Agree with others - if you are sure propane heat is switched off, the red light should never come on.

Its function relates only to operation on propane and not at all when operating the water heater just on 110VAC.

Normally - when operating on propane - the red light should initially come on for a very short time and then go off and stay off when the flame is properly lit. If it stays on, or goes out then comes back on, there is a problem. You can switch off and try again. If no success, attention is needed!

If you are getting the red light on when using only electric heating, something to have fixed while under warrantee I think. (Unless they have changed the system since our trailer!)

Incidentally you probably know this, but it is ok to run both gas and electric heating simultaneously if you want to heat the water as fast as possible.

Something to watch out is not to have the electric heat turned on if you have no water in the heater tank!

I think they claim that today's heating elements can tolerate it to some extent, but i wouldn't chance it - the element can burn out.

It is easily turned on in error if someone mistakes the electric water heat switch for a light switch!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote