Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Water Heater Red Light On

I have the OEM electric/gas WH. I'm currently on shore power and have WH in electric position. Went out for a while and came back to find red light in between switches on. Turned off elec switch for a short time and then back on, red light returned. I then opened circuit breaker for a few seconds and reset, red light did not come back on. Could I have something about to cause problems or could this be a fluke?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblee1950 View Post
I have the OEM electric/gas WH. I'm currently on shore power and have WH in electric position. Went out for a while and came back to find red light in between switches on. Turned off elec switch for a short time and then back on, red light returned. I then opened circuit breaker for a few seconds and reset, red light did not come back on. Could I have something about to cause problems or could this be a fluke?
I have the electric/gas heater also but on my trailer, the light is tied to the gas operation of the water heater. If the water heater fails to ignite with the gas switch on after three tries, the red light goes on. Could someone have flipped the gas switch on but the gas was shut off at the tank or the tank is empty? I can run with electric switched on and gas on at the same time. Typically I turn on gas to supplement the electric when we are using the shower.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Leaving for a bit. But light was definitely on with elec switch. It came back on after an hour. So turned elec off. Turned gas on to see if it would start but no joy and red light came on. Not much chance on inadvert gas switch
Old 03-02-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I've seen it with a bad thermostat, hopefully something simple (and cheap) like that.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Just got back. Turned on gas side and it started up. Let it run for a few minutes and turned off. Then elec side and it worked too. You may have something with the thermostat. I'll watch and do expect it to repeat.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I run both gas and elec with excellent results and longer hot water and rapid recovery (showering)... then shut off gas. Electric is also turned off if gone from Airstream an unknown length of time. The reheat/recovery time is no issue and saves resources.

Oh, also, shut off city water and pump if they are on before leaving the AS!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Just got back. Turned on gas side and it started up. Let it run for a few minutes and turned off. Then elec side and it worked too. You may have something with the thermostat. I'll watch and do expect it to repeat.
Your thermostat's manual may contain instructions for doing a "hard reboot" which may clear up lingering problems.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:27 AM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Btw, a red light means there is a problem. It could be an "over temp" or could be when the water heater tried to start the gas (LP) burner, it failed to ignite.

Question... when running only on gas, does the water heater properly cycle on/off as you use water without the red light?? Can you leave only gas on while you are staying in the AS?

Since your AS is new.... I would not put a wrench on it... the dealer should.

It is unlikely there is a safety issue... but I would have this checked to be sure.

On our 1999 AS we had this problem which just happened to coincide when it got cold.. but got worse...failed to start.

We are a tad out of warranty so I tried the basic cleanings, etc... no joy. Problem finally solved by installing g a "Dinosaur" igniter board... yes it is aftermarket but has only failed to start once...and gave the red light. (Of course when's it got into the gas lines, it took a few times to purge the air...)
Old 03-03-2017, 06:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I most always use elec so don't have a lot of time with the gas side. The red light has shown up when on elec, so I may have had an over temp issue. Ran WH on elec overnight with no repeat prob. Think I'll watch it for now cause as soon as I made a 3+ hour trip to dealer it'll work normally, they'll scratch their head and say it all checks out. Right now, on the road I'm glad to have hot water, lol.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Red Light On

I have the same problem on my 2017 FC that I picked up in November. I talked to the dealer and discussed the issue on this forum. The red light comes on when just the electric power is used for the hot water heater. The original consensus was that the circuit board was faulty. While waiting for a new circuit board, I noticed that water drips from the pressure relief valve after the heater has been on for a day or so. In addition the water temp is steaming hot. Now the dealer thinks it is the ECM (whatever that is) which is usually replaced with the thermostat. The water temp is overheating. I'm going to see if the same thing happens with the propane heating the water.
Tom Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Same Problem

I have the same problem since getting my 2017 FC in November. First conclusion (including discussion on this Forum) that it is a faulty heater circuit board. While waiting for the board to be ordered, I noticed the water gets very hot after a day or so and the pressure release valve starts dripping. Dealer now thinks it may be ECM (?) and thermostat that are causing water to overheat. Currently I am testing to see if the same condition occurs when using the propane to heat.
Tom Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Larson View Post
I have the same problem on my 2017 FC that I picked up in November. I talked to the dealer and discussed the issue on this forum. The red light comes on when just the electric power is used for the hot water heater. The original consensus was that the circuit board was faulty. While waiting for a new circuit board, I noticed that water drips from the pressure relief valve after the heater has been on for a day or so. In addition the water temp is steaming hot. Now the dealer thinks it is the ECM (whatever that is) which is usually replaced with the thermostat. The water temp is overheating. I'm going to see if the same thing happens with the propane heating the water.
ECM- Electronic Control Module... or for AS and HD - Extra Cash Module

On our WH there is a simple thermostat designed to activate at specific temp... that signals the ECM/other mechanism to sit off power to the device.
If that is failing, could overtemp. That needs to be fixed..especially if the pressure valve is leaking... the over pressure will increase pressures in your water lines too. You don't want that ...
Old 03-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:

On our WH there is a simple thermostat designed to activate at specific temp... that signals the ECM/other mechanism to sit off power to the device.
If that is failing, could overtemp. That needs to be fixed..especially if the pressure valve is leaking... the over pressure will increase pressures in your water lines too. You don't want that ...
Old 03-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:

Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:

Old 03-04-2017, 07:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
A little more info. Been two days and WH has operated normally.....except, when we do initial setup and I turn on water, later I notice a little has dripped from pressure relief valve. We try to purge air from lines and it generally stops leaking. When it does, however, it conveniently drips on wiring below before exiting compartment. When we get home in a couple of days I'll run a short hose in valve to take any water away from electrical. I ask if it is normal for this to happen as it has done it several times over the last few months. To clarify, it generally does this on initial setup and stops after I bleed a little water from valve and purge water lines inside.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When we replaced the stock water tank/heater with a Trima Aqua-Go custom instant on water heater, we wired the red LED in the triple switch panel to reflect that 12Vdc was on to power the logic board of the new heater. Since it uses only propane for fuel, there is no 120Vac connection. We have a blank plate where the 120Vac switch was in the triple switch plate.

In our original heater in both current trailers, the red light was an indicator of failure to light the propane.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #18
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
A little more info. Been two days and WH has operated normally.....except, when we do initial setup and I turn on water, later I notice a little has dripped from pressure relief valve. We try to purge air from lines and it generally stops leaking. When it does, however, it conveniently drips on wiring below before exiting compartment. When we get home in a couple of days I'll run a short hose in valve to take any water away from electrical. I ask if it is normal for this to happen as it has done it several times over the last few months. To clarify, it generally does this on initial setup and stops after I bleed a little water from valve and purge water lines inside.
For City Water...there is a pressure regulator for incoming city water and check valve in the AS water system to keep water from 'backing out' of the Airstream... this is a good thing when the onboard water pump is fired up.

So...are these WH problems happening when onboard pump is only water connected? (turn off or disconnect city water).

I usually "purge" the air from the WH when first filled. When I connect City Water, I purge the hose by opening the external water supply valve.. you will get air pumped out there.. then go to the Bath lavatory, run the cold water to ensure air is purged... after that, it is just like home. =)

You definitely want the air out of the WH.. just like home... if not, you can quickly burn up the electric heater element... and that is not a WARRANTY item.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Could be I've overlooked purging city water hose and that could have introduced enough air I didn't get it out at sinks. The red light only came on the on evening I originally posted about. There hasn't been a recurrence yet. The occurrence was with city water, I never tried internal with the pump.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #20

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Signal mtn , Tennessee
Have a 2016 Fc and found by trial and error that when running on electric the red light comes on when the propane tank is empty. I go otside and switch tanks then comeback inside and flip the electric switch off and back on. The light goes off and stays off until the propane tank is empty again. 🤔
Ltltree45 is offline   Reply With Quote