Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2003, 08:18 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
water heater problem

I got brave enough to go light my furnace and water heater to test them out (first time since the PO showed me how), and managed to do it with only one small incident where nobody got hurt but we all gained a little more respect for propane! However, once I got the water heater going, I was reading the manual and I see it says a noisy blue flame indicates too much air, and I should adjust the 'air shutter'. It is a very noisy blue flame, but I have no idea what the air shutter is. Can anyone clue me in?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:26 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Stephanie,

I recently learned this from Fred Hind's ( we did adjustments at Mystic Springs for the vrey reason you mention).

Light the heater, you know how to do that now. Then there is a slotted tube on the main gas inlet. There should be a screw, loosen it. Then slide the slotted tube (shutter) left or right to adjust the air/propane mix. The tube I am describing runs from the thermostat into the hole in the heater.

It should be mostly blue with a little yellow on the tips and no roar.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 08:10 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Ok, I finally got back to working on the water heater. The tube that goes into the hole is rusty, so I wirebrushed the rust off as best I could. Problem is, the screw that holds the air shutter in place is also rusted down. Is it ok to use a penetrant to try and loosen it up? Seeing as how it's so close to where the flame will be, I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to be spraying flammable penetrating oil there, though I will certianly try not to use any more than necessary.

(Of course, it's not lit now, I'm just worried about residule on the tube after I get the shutter moving and want to light it again.)

Old 05-13-2003, 10:31 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
got it working again

My husband tinkered with it until the screw came loose, and got the shutter moving again. I think I have it right now, at least we have hot water! We also lit the fridge and the stove and oven. I think we're finally ready for the rally :-)

Old 10-23-2003, 08:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

water heater tube

Also if your tube is rusty on the outside, it is rusty on the inside Remove tube and use a round brush on the inside too, or at least shake it out, I just cleaned one and found about a golf ball worth of rust and debris, if it clogs you can have a fire start at the air holes, and That can be a really, really bad thing. SO CLEAN IT Out!
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote