Old 01-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Moose tags,

I have the same symptoms with the water heater in our 2012 25FB--burning wire smell followed by failure of the water heater. Ours died on both the propane as well as 110v sides but replacing the 2amp fuse on the exterior of the heater returned propane service. My problem is simple- where the heck is the heating element located on the heater? It must be covered by the insulation. I DO NOT want to removed the tank just to change the element! On a daily basis I'm reminded yet again of the poor design that went into our trailer and its lack of easy servicing.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 06-11-2017, 03:44 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Old thread but I need help

Sorry to renew this thread but the last post is most telling. I have a 2012 25FB and I need to access the 120vac electrical on my water heater. Works fine on propane, not on AC. Best as I can tell that is on the back but whether I stick my head in the storage compartment from the outside or remove the inside panel for access to the bypass valve, I cannot even see the heater and relay.
It seems that I must remove or partially remove the whole water heater to get access. Right? Has anyone tried to access the 120v on a 25FB? Thanks
Larry

Old 06-11-2017, 04:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Can either of you offer Larry guidance on this?

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I guess that it's time to report the results of Lucy's water heater repair. In my classic repair method of throwing parts at the problem, I seem to have corrected the situation.

Neither the gas or electric water heater function was cycling off when the water was fully heated. This had caused the relay to burn up. I replaced the relay, and it still was not cycling off. I then replaced the thermal cut-off and installed a new Atwood Thermostat Kit.

I have continued to keep a close eye on the system, and so far, so good.

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurbrian View Post
Moose tags,

I have the same symptoms with the water heater in our 2012 25FB--burning wire smell followed by failure of the water heater. Ours died on both the propane as well as 110v sides but replacing the 2amp fuse on the exterior of the heater returned propane service. My problem is simple- where the heck is the heating element located on the heater? It must be covered by the insulation. I DO NOT want to removed the tank just to change the element! On a daily basis I'm reminded yet again of the poor design that went into our trailer and its lack of easy servicing.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-11-2017, 05:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Thanks, I saw those posts in my search, but nothing about access and element replacement. At least on the 25FB it seems that Airstream has once again ignored maintainability.
Larry
Old 06-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Maybe easier?

I may have "lucked out" although it will be more expensive. I decided to check voltage at the yellow relay control with the switch energized. Since I know the heater works properly on lpg, I figure I should have 12v on the yellow wire. Nope, a few millivolts.
I have ordered an expensive board, what a hassle with part number changes. At least it mounts from the front! I'll know in a week or so.
Larry
Old 06-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Thanks, I saw those posts in my search, but nothing about access and element replacement. At least on the 25FB it seems that Airstream has once again ignored maintainability.
Larry
I figured you had seen those posts, but quoted the posters so they would hopefully get an email and maybe reply. Good luck with the fix!

I can relate to your predicament, because in the 90's we had a 25' and a cracked elbow on the back of the water heater. I had to take the bed apart to work on it, but all went well. It helped that we were right on the beach in San Diego during a terrible January back home in NY!

Peter
Old 06-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Update

As an update, Dometic told me it is the element or relay, since everything works on lpg. They told me to check the voltage on the yellow relay solenoid first, though.
I did that and it was only 25 millivolts. So, I ordered a new circuit board. About 4 different part numbers to get to the same thing. At least the circuit board is accessible and easy to replace.
It was a five minute job this morning and I now measure 11vdc at the solenoid so apparently the circuit board failed after 4 years of intermittent use. Not Airstream's fault, just a sign of the cheap products in RV's. Atwood in this case. I asked Atwood tech support expected life of the board and they said "unknown, it is electronic and we source it elsewhere".
I still have to refill water and connect to shorepower to test everything.
Larry
Old 06-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #36
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We had a similar problem on the water heater in our 2001 Excella. From the bathroom side there is a cabinet panel to remove and gain access to 2 small sensors. One is high temp the other is low temp. Easy to replace but not so easy for big hands to reach in our trailer but a simple fix. Don't recall where I got them ( E-bay comes to mind) but they were in the neighborhood of $10 or so in a blister package. Solved the issue for me and been good ever since.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the update, and glad the fix was relatively easy. We had a furnace circuit board go bad, and there are plenty of reports here on similar problems with all appliances.

Cheap parts indeed . . .

Happy Trails!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
As an update, Dometic told me it is the element or relay, since everything works on lpg. They told me to check the voltage on the yellow relay solenoid first, though.
I did that and it was only 25 millivolts. So, I ordered a new circuit board. About 4 different part numbers to get to the same thing. At least the circuit board is accessible and easy to replace.
It was a five minute job this morning and I now measure 11vdc at the solenoid so apparently the circuit board failed after 4 years of intermittent use. Not Airstream's fault, just a sign of the cheap products in RV's. Atwood in this case. I asked Atwood tech support expected life of the board and they said "unknown, it is electronic and we source it elsewhere".
I still have to refill water and connect to shorepower to test everything.
Larry
Old 06-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Nope, fix was not it.See my newest post on this.
Larry