Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2007, 06:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Water Heater Pilot Won't Light

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? As the title says, the water heater pilot won't light, but if I hold the flame in there long enough to heat the thermocouple, the main burner will light and burn... so the burner is good, the thermocouple is good, and the valve is good (at least on the main burner portion).

Your thoughts?
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Mine will not light...unless I turn on a stovetop burner and let the gas flow through that for a minute. Then, I struggle but it lights eventually.

Have you tried that yet?

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Steve,

Sounds like the spacing between the pilot and the t/couple might be too large. Check your manual for the exact gap, but they usually are at 1/8". If the pilot is not providing enough heat for the t/couple to maintain the pilot, you might have a partial blockage in the gas burner tube also, or a partially defective gas valve.

Have you been holding the valve down after lighting the pilot for at least 30 seconds to allow for proper t/couple heating?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Thanks for y'alls input, but please read the symtoms again....the pilot light will not light. The main burner works OK after I hold the propane match on the thermocouple long enough for it to heat up, but the pilot light never lights.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
Thanks for y'alls input, but please read the symtoms again....the pilot light will not light. The main burner works OK after I hold the propane match on the thermocouple long enough for it to heat up, but the pilot light never lights.
Sorry Steve,

I thought that the pilot would not stay lit. I would then check the gas valve, and disconnect the pilot LP feed tube from the valve and burner head and blow it out with a heavy shot of compressed air. It might be blocked, thus not allowing the LP to flow from the valve to thru the tube to be ignited. If it still wont work, I would then replace the pilot tube AND the gas valve, as the pioot function on the control knob may not be functioning, and the gas valves are not field serviceable.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
When I replaced my thermocouple it wouldn't stay lit either. Andy from Inland told me to tighten it "really hard". That was the problem. Not in tight enough (and I thought I tightened it hard enough the first time). I'd try that before anything. It was an easy fix!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Sorry, read your post wrong----whatever Lew says, that's the ticket!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Sorry Steve,

I thought that the pilot would not stay lit. I would then check the gas valve, and disconnect the pilot LP feed tube from the valve and burner head and blow it out with a heavy shot of compressed air. It might be blocked, thus not allowing the LP to flow from the valve to thru the tube to be ignited. If it still wont work, I would then replace the pilot tube AND the gas valve, as the pioot function on the control knob may not be functioning, and the gas valves are not field serviceable.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Lew, I'll disassemble it tomorrow and see if there is an obstuction. If not, I guess it will be a trip to the RV store for parts.

Steve
Old 10-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Just an Update

Lew,

You were right...the pilot light feed tube orifice was choked up. When I took it off, I couldn't even see the orifice it was so small, and maybe because it was choked up with whatever. I blew it out, reverse flow, and then I could see the tiny orifice and could even blow thru it with my mouth and feel a small flow.

Result is, it works fine now. Thanks again for your help.

Steve
Old 10-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Lew's the man!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Awe shucks............. Thanks gang!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
glad he got that fixed, also everybody keep an eye out for cob-web accumulation that can plug pipes and outlets too...
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote