Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Water heater pilot/coke can trick?

On my parents '73 Safari,the manual pilot light won't stay lit longer than about five minutes. It seems that even light wind is blowing it out. Now,there used to be a coke type can trick to keep the pilot from blowing out. Doe's anyone know the right way to do the coke can thing? Have a photo of it? Thanks
Brian,the proud (2nd) owner of aluminum 1986 '32 Airstream Argosy (Squarestream) #305 Rare? It's either the Hemi Cuda of all Airstream's,or their Edsel.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer1
... Does anyone know the right way to do the coke can thing? Have a photo of it? Thanks
Maybe when coke cans were steel, but I doubt aluminum coke cans would work for long.

I used ThermoSteel for a permanent repair.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer1
On my parents '73 Safari,the manual pilot light won't stay lit longer than about five minutes. It seems that even light wind is blowing it out. Now,there used to be a coke type can trick to keep the pilot from blowing out. Doe's anyone know the right way to do the coke can thing? Have a photo of it? Thanks
Coke can for water heater?

Sounds like something from Disney.

DO NOT MESS AROUND WITH LPG.

It is far bigger than you ever thought of being.

Actually, the water heater pilot lights can very easily be stopped from blowing out.

Take a small open cell gasket, such as the screen door gasket, and place it on the back side edge of the water heater door, on all four sides.

Seldom will the pilot ever again blow out, even when traveling.

Be careful when pulling into a gas station for a refill if you do this mod.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
With it going out in 5 min. I am asuming it is going out while stationary. If the flame is not strong and steady the oriface may have trash in it. Take a small piece of wire and clean it out. Allso check the thermacouple. If it is dirty lightly buff with steel wool.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Sometimes when the valve is turned to full "on" position it cuts gas to the pilot so that when the burner cycles, it wont come back on(lacking a pilot). From a purely empiracle point of view, turning the burner knob back a lttle from the stop will sometimes cure this. Watch the pilot when you first turn the burner on after lighting the pilot. If the burner is on, but the pilot is out, try the above mentioned trick, If you see the pilot relight while the burner is going, you're home free.
As far as the coke can goes, you can make a shield or shroud by cutting one up if stray wind currents tend to blow it out.
P.S. I put this type of repair in the same category as the scientist who had a horse shoe over his laboratory door. He said he wasn't superstitious, but he understood that it was still lucky even if you didn't believe in it.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
all give thanks to andy for a sane and accurate reply. do not approach the orfis with a piece of wire that type of shade tree repair has the potential to
destroy your trlr possibly kill someone.
and if you don't know what you are doing maybe ???? you should take it to
someone who does ???. I quit posting on this site a while ago as I reached
terminal saturation with all the false and often dangerous info here,look to guys like andy & lewster for accurate info or god forbid call the manufacturer.
I am outta here
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote