Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
Water Heater Pilot

I have an Atwood plain-jane water heater. The pilot lights and stays lit in the PILOT position but, the instant I turn the dial towards ON, the pilot flame goes out. I've cleaned, scraped, and adjusted everything I know to do with no benefit. What do you suggest I do next?
mapley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The thermo couple is most likely not working or not positioned correctly. It should be heated by the pilot light and cause the gas valve to open. Make sure it is clean and in the path of the flame. It may need to be replaced.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
thermocouple is a good bet ..... could be the control unit; I had to re[lace one last year, but I would replace the thermocouple first
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My daughter had the same problem when we were camping a few weeks ago. It turned out that she had a switch for the propane that was turned to off. It was getting just enough propane for the small flame. If you have a switch, you could check that & make sure your propane tank is full. (I know, it sounds too simple, but we went all round the cleaning & checking routes before my DH told me about the switch on a desperate call to home!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
Thanks everyone.. We replaced the thermocouple and it behaves the same.. So, now I'm thinking it must be the control unit. Can a novice like me replace the control unit or should I take it to a dealer?
mapley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Take it to a dealer, have it flushed from the drain and check/replace the pressure regulator. Atwoods are good products, but I'd have the dealer replace the card with a Dinosaur.

dinosaurelectronics.com
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
I replaced mine with no problem. The square unit just screws out and you would need to put some goop on the threads before you screw it back in.

After you remove all the fittings a pipe wrench will be needed as a minimum ..... however there is actually a tool that fits over the square unit you can borrow if you have a friendly RV Dealer. Especially if you buy the replacement unit from him/her.
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote