Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2003, 02:34 PM   #1

water heater leak?

I have a 76 international rear bath with water dripping undernieth the rear compartment . I also noticed water on the floor around the toilet. I removed the toilet to search for a leak and found it to be warm from the hot water... but I have no clue how to remove the water heater or what to remove to inspect the heater for faulty connections... It's old (as the trailer) and I might need a new heater? I'm a novice airstream guy but have a lot of "repair" and restoration background and would appreciate any directions a vet may have...Mike
mirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 02:49 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Need more info, but I will try to start you out.

If the rear bath has a low cabinet next to the toilet, you will need to disassemble the e cabinet to get to the back of the heater. If there is a closet it is in the bottom of the closet under a thin panel. It could also be under the bed if you have a bed on that side. You want to inspect the back of the heater first, it may just be a leaky fitting, but do not get your hopes up.

In the older trailers the tanks will rot from the inside out if anode rods have not been maintained.

Removal is simply disconnecting the rear lines, removing all of the screws under the edge of the outer door and disconnecting the gas line after turning off the gas. The heater should pull straight out. The new one of the same size should fit exactly. You may have to make a hole for the propane line. Save the door off your old one it may fit the new one depending on the old ones age.

Installation is the oppisite of removal.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 07:29 AM   #3

hey thanks for the starting point... I'm a full timer living out in the country in Iowa. Braving the elements including snow storms, sub zero temps and just as severe summer storms including tornados has given me and new love and respect for my airstream (which started out to be only a temporary living facility).
I think I start on the road to redoing and the pics of your counter top are inspiring... thanks...Mike
Old 07-01-2003, 09:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Mike, when I bought my Airstream it had a "bad" water heater. I pulled it and found the bottom completely rotted out. It was a big hole! I bought a replacement Atwood from a local RV dealer, and installed it myself. I did have to do some metal work to get the flue to match the original A/S water heater door and move the latches to the proper position, but it was easy to do.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:16 PM   #5

leaking water heater

thanks for the tip... that was my next question.. .after the 4th and after some plumbing on the house I'm building I'll tackle the heater... Mike
Old 06-03-2005, 11:12 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Brett,
About those anode rods you referenced, I have a '77 airstream and I enjoy a leakless water heater.
what do I need to do to maintain the thing?
thanks, wayne
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote