Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Water Heater Install Help?

I just received my new Atwood GC6AA-10E, combination gas/electric with electronic ignition. Does anyone have the patience to look at the photos of my electrical panel and wiring and describe how I hook up the wiring of the new heater?

Here is my electrical box:

Here it is showing 12v (2 wires) going to the bunk light in the upper right:

Here is the information on the inside cover of the existing electrical box shown in the first two photos:

Here is the back of the Atwood showing the 12v wires (blue, white orange and green) at the top. The 110v wires (green, black & white) are coming out of the black box at bottom. What isn't shown is the two switch unit that attaches to the wall. I've attached a PDF of the Install Manual and the last two pages show the switch as well as the wiring diagrams, etc.

This stcker is on the back of the heater:

Can anyone help, or am I better off hiring an electrician?

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AtwoodInstall[1].pdf (364.2 KB, 74 views)
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi

If you have any knowledge of electricity it would be simple but according to you you have no idea. My recomendation is to hire an electrician. The question schould be how much current will your heater draw and do you have to upgrade the panel to a higher amparage brakers.
Regards from Russell in sunny and cool Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
If it was me doing this, I would upgrade to a more modern box with a couple more spaces for extra breakers and put in a dedicated circut for the water heater. Any good electrican should be able to easily do this if you do not feel comfortable installing a new box. Just make sure that you do not put in a main breaker that has an amp rating higher then the power cord is rated for.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
I'm willing to learn, sadly I just don't have the knowledge to tackle it.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The question is first: How much power is the heater going to use? How many amps, (or how many watts/110). Heating appliances typically use a lot of power, so you may exceed the 20 amp supply (2000 Watt) from either breaker. As was suggested, you may need a box with one more breaker of sufficient size.
As was also said you will need to make sure the power cord to the trailer can handle the load when everything is running. You can add an extra box, or a bigger box. Have someone knowledgeable go over the set up with you.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Okay, sounds like I need to hire someone. I know plumbers, engineers, roofers, but no electricians. Time to go make some phone calls.
Thanks for the input, all!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
Just finished mine & can help

I just finished wiring my identical w/h this morning. There are a couple of options, but you are going to need to install a new dedicated 15 amp circuit. Which means you will need to replace the existing electrical box or install an additional box for the new breaker. I sent a PM.
musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1977 21' Globetrotter
Abbotsford , British columbia
did you fix it?

l would like to know that you put on water heater yourself?
causel will put new hotwater tank!
so you will suggest to me!

yoshi
yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote