Originally Posted by OTRA15
Aren't you assuming that you could in fact taste all poisonous materials?
I would not be surprised if the "no after-taste" water in your lines still contains traces of poisonous anti-freeze. Hope you don't consume or cook with that water.
Why take that risk when a proper winterization with air pressure obviates the need to use antifreeze?
PS -- The fact that regular antifreeze cannot be tasted is why so many dogs and cats die after drinking it, when humans carelessly leave it out in open containers of some kind. [edit -- and racoons, squirrels, and so forth . . . ]
PS2 -- Thanks for the comment about the water heater accomodating a bit of standing water in the bottom for the winter. Why a dog's water bowl is usually curved at the bottom . . .
Are we talking about the same thing?
Propylene glycol is also used in various edible items such as coffee-based drinks, liquid sweeteners, ice cream, whipped dairy products and soda. Vaporizers used for delivery of pharmaceuticals or personal-care products often include propylene glycol among the ingredients. Propylene glycol is used as a solvent in many pharmaceuticals, including oral, injectable and topical formulations.
Oh, and it's FDA approved. But I still flush it out.