Old 03-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #43
Rivet Master
1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Aren't you assuming that you could in fact taste all poisonous materials?

I would not be surprised if the "no after-taste" water in your lines still contains traces of poisonous anti-freeze. Hope you don't consume or cook with that water.

Why take that risk when a proper winterization with air pressure obviates the need to use antifreeze?

PS -- The fact that regular antifreeze cannot be tasted is why so many dogs and cats die after drinking it, when humans carelessly leave it out in open containers of some kind. [edit -- and racoons, squirrels, and so forth . . . ]

PS2 -- Thanks for the comment about the water heater accomodating a bit of standing water in the bottom for the winter. Why a dog's water bowl is usually curved at the bottom . . .
Are we talking about the same thing?

Propylene glycol is also used in various edible items such as coffee-based drinks, liquid sweeteners, ice cream, whipped dairy products and soda.[13][14] Vaporizers used for delivery of pharmaceuticals or personal-care products often include propylene glycol among the ingredients.[5] Propylene glycol is used as a solvent in many pharmaceuticals, including oral, injectable and topical formulations.

Oh, and it's FDA approved. But I still flush it out.

Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Sorry, I was obviously thinking of the wrong substance -- "glycol" threw me off.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
2015 23' FB International
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Slightly off topic, but I was told by an Airstream RV Tech that I should drain the hot water tank after every trip, unless going out again within two weeks. He said it helps keep bacteria from growing.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #46
Rivet Master
1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Slightly off topic, but I was told by an Airstream RV Tech that I should drain the hot water tank after every trip, unless going out again within two weeks. He said it helps keep bacteria from growing.
I've gone much longer than that and never had a problem.

If you last filled it from a municipal water source it probably has enough residual chlorine to last 6 months.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:14 PM   #47
Rivet Master
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
markdoane; Tom, the only possible problem would be the crossover line going to the bypass valve. Unless you open the bypass valve while blowing out there could be water in the deadleg above the valve. If this freezes you may need to replace that short section. ]

Markdowne,I understand yours may be a little different than our, but on mine there are three connects: 1) the white cold supply that connects to the bypass, 2) the short flex hose that connects the BP to the HW distribution with presumably a backflow valve) and 3) the red hot water dist to the trailer. Are you referring to the 1st leg or the 2nd?

I had posted this to the 20 footers thread but think it may fit in this discussion too. I have been dealing with the dealer and JC as my hot LP drain under the WH was not accessible. They agreed and swapped out the LP drains. I took this opportunity to have them adjust the lines to/from the HWH gravity drain to the LP’s. When I winterized for the 1st time I finally disconnected # 1 at the BP valve so that it would drain completely…this was repeated a number of times as water would continually get caught in the obvious low spot image 7537.

One question that I had for JC is the short vertical heading down (Connector line?) in 7357 should maybe lifted a bit so that to flow by gravity. Their response was that it should be turned 180 vertical, which to me would make the small section a dead leg as opposed to the longer horizontal run that dips down in the picture.

When I showed this to the dealer their result was 7909, tweaking all three pieces of # 1. Now it all flows by gravity from both the WH back down to the LP drain unless there is an air lock in the top flex section #2 caused by a back flow device in the HW outlet. I suspect that is not the case. I also suspect that the new LP and the tweaking of the lines will make winterization much easier in the future.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7357 (small).JPG
Views:	34
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	259145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7907 (Small).JPG
Views:	35
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	259146  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7821 (Small).JPG
Views:	34
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	259147  
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va

Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
Sorry I can't remember/credit the OP who used a flush brass plug.

It's the bee's knees when you have a hex key drive and extension for your ratchet

No more tight space/access problem
It was Jerhofer Post 13 Nice photos.

VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote