Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2005, 10:50 PM   #1
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Water Heater Drain

Had anyone replaced the plastic drain plug on an Atwood water heater with a valve. It would make draining the tank alot easier.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:22 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I have done it. All you have to do is go to your favorite hardware store with the plastic plug. Get a reducer with the same outside thread and internal thread to fit a drain valve that they should also have. One concern with doing this is the compatibility of the brass and aluminum. It may cause the aluminum to corrode, ruining the tank. Mine was only in about a year before I traded the unit so I don't speak from experience. My current trailer, a 2002 safari, has a low point drain on the inlet line to the water heater. Opening it drains everything, including the heater. You might want to incorporate one in your unit. To me, it seems like the best way to go. Not as fast as pulling the drain plug and having water gush everywhere, but it drains the heater more completely.
Another alternative might be to drill and tap the plastic drain plug for a drain valve. You would probably want to tap for 1/4 pipe thread to have a course enough thread. I haven't done it, just an idea you might try on an extra plastic dtain plug.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:28 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Had anyone replaced the plastic drain plug on an Atwood water heater with a valve. It would make draining the tank alot easier.
I'm not sure if you drain the tank frequently or not. I only do it once a year when I winterize. One of the benefits of pulling the big plug is that the sediment in the tank can easily exit. I then use my tank saver device to scour the tank internally and therefore remove any sediment that is stuck to the tank walls. Doing this annually will extend the life of your tank greatly.

Here is a link to the thread and the picture of the Tank Saver.

Tank Saver

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
The plastic hot water heater plug is a bit difficult to get at, and rounds-off easily. I purchased a water heater tank drain valve (to replace the plug) from an RV dealer. I rinse the water heater with fresh water before each trip, and drain it after each trip. At the end of the year I remove the valve and flush out the tank with a plastic sprayer wand, sold at RV dealers for this purpose.