Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
CDR
TRBMR

1992 34' Excella
Wichita , Kansas
Water Heater by-pass valves/1992 Excella

I've tried to find the by-pass valves that Airstream installed on the Hot Water Heater when they built this 1992 34' Excella. The information I have doesn't give a very good discription of the water system and where all the valves are located.
I can almost put my hands on all the water inlet from the city water hook-up but I find nothing.
I hope someone has the answer I need.

Thanks
Duane
CDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Just off the TOP of my head and trying to remember. Our hot water heater is under the streetside twin bed (mine) and I believe there are many valves around it. Maybe that is where they are. I will try to remember to look tomorrow.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rising Fawn , Georgia
On my '96 34' Excella the water heater is under the vanity in the bathroom behind a removable panel on the front of the cabinet.
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
CDR
TRBMR

1992 34' Excella
Wichita , Kansas
Thank you both for responding.
I've removed what I was told was a clothes hamper above and beside the stool. I found three pipes, but no valves. Under the sink behind the next door, I find what I believe to be some kind of relief valve on one of the 3 lines.
I received a lot of information in the manual I received with my Airstream, but I would have thought there might have been a better explanation of the water system.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
In my 89 excella with curb side bath. Under the sink is a vanity that I open a door. Back over to the right is the water tank and hot water lines. In that plumbing is a red valve handle. That is my hot water tank bypass. This should be directly by or near your hot water tank. Look outside where the door is and then come inside and there should be some kind of cabinetry with the plumbing and valve.........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Start on the outside of your trayla: there will be a hatch about 16" x 18" that has about a quarter of its surface cut with vent slots. Careful they DO get !HOT! when the water heater is heating water!

Now just figure out where on the inside that unit has to be. They are almost always in or near the bathroom. Now, I know your trailer is big, but the water heater is pretty big, too, so it can't hide for long from you

The shutoff vales should be obvious: the bypass is just a short pipe that connects between the two pipes going in and out of the water heater's tank.

The handles are closed when they are at right angles to the pipe they are on. Similarly, they are open when they are in line with the pipe they are mounted on. Which only makes sense, when you think about it.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
CDR
TRBMR

1992 34' Excella
Wichita , Kansas
My wife found them. Halalouya or however you spell it.
I had been in the area under the sink but I'm just to big to stand on my head and reach to the (almost) bottom of the trailer floor.
The area above the stool where the door lays down on the stool lid, back there would have been a perfect place for them.
I had felt the lines under the sink but the by-pass valves were out of my reach.
As a matter of fact, reaching in there, my arm was hard to remove from the area and it was stuck for a very short time. But long enough for me to think it was stuck.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help this newbie.