Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2003, 02:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Magnolia , Texas
Water Heater & Water Tank

I am sure this is very basic, but we have not figured out how to get water into the hotwater tank. We see where we put it into the Water tank, does this flow over to the hot water tank? It does not say in the book that we have and this is our first experience with a camping trailer. (just bought on Friday)

Thanks.

1974 Internation (center bath):
Old 01-13-2003, 02:57 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
you shouldn't actually have to "do" anything; the hot water tank is just part of the supply line, and when the lines are pressurized by either city pressure, or the trailer's pump, the tank should fill. just like in your house.

there is one thing: if your unit is fitter with a by-pass valve, that would have to be set to "not by-pass" the water heater. people install these so they don't have to fill the hwh with antifreeze in the winter. saves 6 to 10 gallons of antifreeze! anyway, the bypass kits I have seen look like a hose that runs from top to bottom of the hwh...about a foot long (?) with a valves where it connects to the input and output of the hwh. Normally, the water goes into the heater through one of these valves, and heads out to the fixtures through the other. this by-pass hose connects the input line to the output line on the outside of the hwh, and if the valves are thrown the right way, water just goes up the hose and out to the fixtures, instead of going into the heater to get heated. so see if you have one of those installed, and if you do, get the valves situated properly. if you don't, you should just be able to connect a hose to the city water supply connection on the back of the trailer, and turn the hot water on, and wait for it to stop spitting air. run the hwh for a few minutes, and you should have hot water.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:00 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Magnolia , Texas

Thanks.

We did not realize that we should fill the tanks with anti-freeze.

We live in Houston, Tx and it in general it is not that cold here. Is draining the tanks during non use an option vs the anti-freeze?
Old 01-13-2003, 03:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
When you are filling the fresh water tank (not hooked up to city water) it helps to turn on the waterpump and open a hot water faucet in the trailer until water flows smoothly. This will fill the hot water tank and allow for that much additianal water to be added to the fresh water tank.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I didn't say that you "should" fill the tanks w/ antifreeze; just that someone else might have set it up w/ a bypass valve. you don't really want to put antifreeze in the tanks, anyway...just drain out the water from the freshwater tank, and drain the lines, and hot water heater.

in our cold climates up north, some people pump antifreeze into the water lines by putting the input line for the pump into a gallon of antifreeze, and turning on the water at the fixtures until the pink stuff comes out. (pump sucks the antifreeze out of the jug, instead of pumping out of the water tank). If you do this w/o a bypass valve like I mentioned, you'll have to have enough antifreeze to fill the hwh. (a whole bunch). but with a bypass, you don't need that much, because the water lines don't hold that much liquid.

there's a whole contingent of TX folks here that can tell you what you need to do about winterizing, but I'm willing to bet that all you need to do is drain the lines and the holding tanks. My owner's manual says to open the drain valves, let all the water drain out, then jack the trailer all the way up with the tounge jack...let any remaining water run out, then lower the jack all the way..let all that water out...and that's it. The manual does say that if you have below freezing temps, to put some antifreeze down the sink and shower drains, to keep the traps from freezing.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:36 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Magnolia , Texas

Thanks, you had me worried for a minute that I needed to put anti-freeze in. We will drain for the winter when we are not using.

Old 01-13-2003, 03:38 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Freeze-proofing

Quote:
We live in Houston, Tx and it in general it is not that cold here. Is draining the tanks during non use an option vs the anti-freeze?
Draining is all you need to do to the water heater. I'm in Austin, and I don't drain mine unless a hard freeze is predicted. I just did it for the first time this winter. In Houston, you may not need to drain the tanks or use antifreeze for most winters. It takes a hard freeze to do damage.

After I bypass the water heater I blow out the lines with about 60# if air pressure. I have a tire valve fitting that screws into the city water inlet for this purpose. I open the faucets one at a time and let a blast of air into the city water inlet. I can tell by the sound when the lines are clear of water. Then, I pour a little antifreeze into each trap. Don't forget the shower trap.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:41 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Magnolia , Texas

Thanks.

I look forward to meeting you and others in the area for the Vintage weekend in Austin later this month. We are planning to come over.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

what "Vintage Weekend"?

I just bought an 1969 Airstream (I love it!) and I live in austin!

Mark
Swingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 06:01 AM   #10
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Mark,
Jan 25/26 @Hudson Bend
http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=1962
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 07:05 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

thank you!

this would be the perfect oppertunity to get some advice on my questions about my new baby.

Mark
Old 01-14-2003, 12:47 PM   #12
Contributing Member

Please RSVP

Swingking

Please come out to our vintage event, but please first RSVP at the phone numbers listed on my web page so that we know how many folks to feed and how many vintage Airstreams there will be in attendance.

Do you know that you can have free WBCCI membership through the end of this year just by applying. All you need is a bill of sale and not belonged to WBCCI before. To get the membership form, call or email either our president or our membership chairman at the numbers given on my web page. We would very much like to get an active vintage subgroup going here in Austin.

http://irwin.home.texas.net/HLU.html

I'll have my 2003 International there as a comparison to the vintage units of the same general size.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-14-2003, 03:21 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

FANTASTIC!

I will be there and I will also cash in on my new Airstream owner membership.

Now.... how do I get my trailer out there? I will be buying my parents pick-up in the spring.

Do you know anyone who would tow it out there for $? or where I can rent a truck to tow it?

I really want to get my trailer out there for the gobs of free advice. I have many many questions for people that know airstreams.

Thanks!!

Mark
Old 01-14-2003, 03:37 PM   #14
Contributing Member

Good question

I will be tied up getting my own trailer out there, or I would help you.

I guess you just have to cast around for a friend with a capable tow vehicle or a place that will rent something capable. You might want to touch base with Myron Fischer who is hosting the event. He might have some ideas. Phone # is on the web page I posted.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-14-2003, 03:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Unhappy

I have rented a truck...

Longhorn Car-Truck Rentals
(512) 452-1773 4812 N I H 35
Austin, TX

$45 a day plus free milage up to 100 miles.

Not bad... right?

Old 01-14-2003, 03:55 PM   #16
Contributing Member

That's great

I look forward to meeting you and all of the other Austin and Central Texas folks that, up to next week, are just names on my monitor.

Did you locate the map to the event on one of the other threads? If not, check this post:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...1419#post21419
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-14-2003, 05:39 PM   #17
hex

Lightbulb Gettin there is half + the fun if it works!

Hey Swing that truck does have a reciever type hitch does it not?
Otherwise the truck may get to the camp a little later than the trailer!

Obviously you have not pulled this trailer yet ?

Have you thought about the braking situation?
Also I am not sure about the hitch-ball size, are you?

Good luck and congrats on your buy.
But don't overlook the safety (of you and others)stuff in a mad rush to get out to the park to meet Me!
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 06:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

You're going....

Hex,

Are you going to be there?

Did you get an A/S?

Are you in the Austin area?

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 11:44 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

thanks for the reply

I will check with the truck rental place on the hitch.

- I followed my trailer as it was being towed from houston to austin.

- He told me that he felt the elec brakes were out. but he said it towed great.

-It has brand new tires

I have 7 days of Airstream experience so any and all information is a God send.

thanks!!

Mark
Old 01-15-2003, 12:35 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Mark!

You might want to check with the firm from whom you plan to rent the truck to be sure that their rental contract does not prohibit towing a trailer. When I rented a pickup to remove refuse from my property after a storm, the rental agreement stipulated that no trailer should be towed with the vehicle (even though it had a class III receiver hitch) - - and if one were to be towed any AND all resulting damages would be the responsibility of the individual signing the contract. Towing a trailer with such contract language could potentially create liability for just about any kind of repair that the lessor might envision a cosequence of towing.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote