Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fountain City , Tennessee
Water Heater and Pipes replacing on a 1957 Overlander

We are new to AS, and looking to buy. The one we are looking at was not winterized last year and are told it needs a new water heater and pipes. Maybe all new pipes. Has copper.

So we have this general question:

If we find we have to replace all the plumbing, is it accessible by way of cabinets and access panels or is it going to require removing the belly pan to get at some of it?

We have not seen the camper yet. Planning a trip this weekend and trying to figure out in advance what we might be in for.

Thanks!
Tim & Stephanie in East TN
Swank Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Aluminum Addict

Gastonia , North Carolina
Hi Tim and Stephanie, Welcome to the FORUMS. The water lines on the Airstream are all above floor. Lines are run inside cabinets, under the beds, and around the wheel wells. It is designed this way to be above floor which is less prone to freezing. It should be a rather straight-forward job to replace the plumbing.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fountain City , Tennessee
Thanks for the quick response!

That is what I hoped and anticipated. That the design would be for it all to be accessible in the camper, unlike tearign out walls in a house.

-Tim & Stephanie
Swank Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
My 1965 has all copper pipes in good conditon, but the 3/8" Tee under the bathroom sink has bad soldering job and PO put epoxy on it. That leaked and the access was impossible from the hole on the tub side. I cut new acces door in the fiberglass on front.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My 1976 31' center bath has one water line that crosses under the floor above the axles. My concern with a freeze up would be the tanks. The water heater, the pump, the lines, regulator, faucet bodies, and the tanks will add up in a hurry. Some people might not be capable of changing out the tanks.

The problem with starting to dig into an Airstream like mine, is the next thing is screwed up too.

My $ budget was the cost of my trailer when it was new, and it's not going to be enough.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1957, 1957 overlander, pipes, plumbing, water heater, replace