Old 04-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Water Filtration

Does anybody have any recommendations for a cost effective water filtration system? Having spent some time in our new AS the one "weakness" we have is having to get 1,000 bottles of water every couple days. I may be exaggerating the numbers there but water is heavy so I don't want to carry it while on the road and we end up producing a lot of water bottles to dispose of. Don't really need to filter ALL the water, just the stuff we'll drink.

Is there a filtration system that will filter the water and (somehow) put it into the freshwater tank? Maybe then we could use that for drinking? Not sure how efficient that would be.

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
What you need for a filtration system depends on what it is that you're
trying to filter out. If you're in US campgrounds, you'd probably be fine with a Brita system or the like, if taste improvement is your goal. I've got a replaceable filter system with a male hose fitting on one end and a female hose fitting on the other end. It's 5 micron filter with carbon for taste and chlorine.

That said, I do not recommend filling your tank with unchlorinated water; it's a good way to grow your little science fair project in your tank.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Yes, this would be all in the US mostly around the southeast. Algae / dirt flavoring in some places and in others high amounts of chlorine to mask that flavor. The Brita won't cut it. We're a pretty active bunch too so we're drinking a lot of water and the in fridge version just won't cut it.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:30 AM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I use an inline filter at all campgrounds. I change it at least once a year. The hose is full of water with a few drops of clorox added to keep kritters at bay.. then the hose is screwed together, end-to-end.. so, stays fairly safe... still I flush it with clorox and water if I have not used in a couple of weeks.

So far, no problems.

There are more involved like RO (reverse osmosis) systems.. Saw one at the local RV show for about $2500... don't know what the filters will cost ya.

We 'fill' the onboard tank at HOME.. so we are drinking the same sourced water. We then treat the tank at least monthly... and run the treated water thru all the plumbing...

The on-sink filter takes care of the rest.

IF I must use 'bottled water', I buy the cheap(er) gallon jugs..

Still, if you are cleaning water from a 'Super Site'... well, that's quite another matter.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 AM   #5
Motivated

1974 25' Tradewind
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
San Jose , California
Send a message via Skype™ to MaggieMarty
Highly recommend Berkley Water Filter/Purifier

I have a Berkey countertop water filter system, that is classified as a purifier. I absolutely LOVE it. I am using it at home now and plan on traveling with it in my Tradewind once its up and running. They say you can even purify pond water and remove the chlorine from pool water to make it potable! It removes viruses to purification standards, pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites to non detectable levels, and harmful or unwanted chemicals to below detectable levels. It also reduces toxic heavy metals such as lead and mercury without removing the beneficial and nutritional minerals needed.

Its a gravity system - 2 stainless steel cylinders on top of each other, water filters through and collects in the lower container, which has a spout. The two cylinders nestle into each other for transport. It looks nice!

They say the Main filters (black filters) last 6,000 gallons, the optional Arsenic and Fluoride (white filter) half that I believe.

They come in a multitude of sizes, I have the smallest one, the "Travel Berkley" which is enough for my dog and myself. I paid about $250 for the system including 2 black filters and 2 white filters (Arsenic + Fluoride, which are optional).

Berkey Water Filter Systems - World Leader in Portable Water Purification
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Berkey.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	236284  
Old 04-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We had a motorhome last year with an inline in coach filter, added a similar one to our new AS this year, reason. When we got home from visiting the West, ie Moab area and I took the filter out it was red, just as red as the dirt in Moab area, so I figured it worked. Now I'd like to figure a way to put an inline in the AS inside rather than outside that is easy to get at and does the entire AS instead of the standard one that comes with the unit under the kitchen sink.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Does anybody have any recommendations for a cost effective water filtration system? Having spent some time in our new AS the one "weakness" we have is having to get 1,000 bottles of water every couple days. I may be exaggerating the numbers there but water is heavy so I don't want to carry it while on the road and we end up producing a lot of water bottles to dispose of. Don't really need to filter ALL the water, just the stuff we'll drink.

Is there a filtration system that will filter the water and (somehow) put it into the freshwater tank? Maybe then we could use that for drinking? Not sure how efficient that would be.

Thanks!
I drink water from the tank. The tank will stay clean if you keep it clean. If I am filling it from an unchlorinated water source (well water rather than city water) I will add chlorine bleach at a rate of 1 cc per gallon. I have a 60 cc syringe that I find useful for this, VTS sells them as a "caulking syringe."

In general I try to fill the tank up at my house, using soft water that has been chlorinated.

The classic series (and possibly some others) has a built-in drinking water filter which combines a microstrainer and carbon block. I use that too mainly because it removes most of the chlorine, but I don't consider it necessary for safety.

My wife is picky about water and so I haul bottled water for her.

There are various kinds of filters out there that you can use when filling the tank. I find them to be an expensive nuisance that does not solve any problem that I actually have.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We just use the Camco in line water filters for RV's that go right on the park water spigot. Nice thing is that I can also use it at home for filtering water when I make homebrew (often!)

But even with the filter, my wife prefers something better for drinking, coffee, cooking, so we carry a large square poly 5 gal water carrier with tap and fill it up for a back or so at the supermarkets - many have R.O. water dispensers. I just keep it in the back of the ruck and fill up a couple of smaller containers as needed to keep in the fridge.

Works for us!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
1968 22' Safari
Eaton Rapids , Michigan
Filtering water where city hook ups are unavailable

All of the filtering solutions mentioned here work with a city water hook up. How do we filter water that is carried to the trailer in 6-gallon jugs? We camp a lot at State Parks and Nat. Forest campgrounds where hooking up with a hose is not possible. Any thoughts?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I think what I might be looking for is an under sink RO filter. That would require drilling another hole into the countertop (wonder if that is safe or voids warranty) and installing a second tap for the purified water. The inline filter on the hose that someone suggested seems to be the easiest and most effective though... I'd prefer to have super high quality water for drinking, coffee and cooking but am okay with just about any water for showers and toilet flushing.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity0414 View Post
All of the filtering solutions mentioned here work with a city water hook up. How do we filter water that is carried to the trailer in 6-gallon jugs? We camp a lot at State Parks and Nat. Forest campgrounds where hooking up with a hose is not possible. Any thoughts?

I think the solution for you seems to be the one suggested by MaggyMarty, the gravity system by Berkeley.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Reese , Michigan
Hi Urban Air neighbor!!!!!

We have had our trailer 15 years and I always start out with a good fresh water tank bug kill with a gallon of bleach and about 5 gallons of water and go around the mile to slosh it around and add some more water as I run it thru all the lines and out the faucets and drain the tank into a clean pan to check for flotsam and jetsom, and there is usually none or very little, then clean both course filter screens going to the pump. We have and use our shower all the time, and use our fresh water for cooking and bathing, but not drinking, we carry an insulated water jug that we put a bag of ice in on departure and use it for drinking as it thaws. I don't use any other type of filter usually, but at one campground we have gone to for maybe 40 or so years, I do use an inline filter because their well water is VERY heavy with iron, and it will rust streak your white hose in 4 days of camping, and ALL the permanents at that campground use them also. If we are going somewhere that has no water I fill at home with our city of Saginaw water, otherwise I travel with 10 or so gallons for safety reasons, when you tow with a 1966 chevy pick up, you be prepared!!! The state campgrounds that we go to I do not filter that water, I have not had an experience that makes me nervous about using it, as we do not drink it. We camp from mid May to mid October, and I will stop a couple miles from home and open the water tank drains and let it slosh out if we are home for a few weeks, just to keep things fresh in the tanks, I have 2 fresh tanks side by side plumbed together as that is how it came from new. We will be at Urban Air for #4 as that is a favorite of ours. SAFE travels to all, keep the dirty side down!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1392438_10201841649218969_602488229_n.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	236334   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	236335  

Name:	57port c.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	236336  
Old 04-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
oooooohhhh... aaaaahhhhlllluuuummmmiiiinnnuuummmmm.....? Nah... stainless.. but shiny....

And, who wants arsenic or fluoride in their 'special' water???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMarty View Post
I have a Berkey countertop the optional Arsenic and Fluoride (white filter) half that I believe.

They come in a multitude of sizes, I have the smallest one, the "Travel Berkley" which is enough for my dog and myself. I paid about $250 for the system including 2 black filters and 2 white filters (Arsenic + Fluoride, which are optional).

Berkey Water Filter Systems - World Leader in Portable Water Purification
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Use a combination 5 micron and activated carbon filter with hose fittings to fill your portable tank.