Old 04-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
I think I might end up doing something like this.

http://www.waterchef.com/store/produ...on-System.html

Anyone have any experience drilling into that countertop?

Old 04-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Nebo , North Carolina
My setup: hook 8" hose to campground faucet. Next an inline charcoal filter. This sits upright in a metal holder you step on to push in ground. Another 10" hose connection that attaches to horizontal water softener. Hose from this goes to Airstream connector. This gives pure good tasting mineral free water. If you wish to carry water in tank, simply fill from hose. This makes sure no grit or minerals gets into your trailer system be it sinks or shower. I'm sure someone will say this is too much trouble and equipment. I have used this setup for 25 yrs. First on a yacht that traveled in US and abroad and now on our Airstream. Set up takes 3 minutes and never a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 04-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGaskill View Post
My setup: hook 8" hose to campground faucet. Next an inline charcoal filter. This sits upright in a metal holder you step on to push in ground. Another 10" hose connection that attaches to horizontal water softener. Hose from this goes to Airstream connector. This gives pure good tasting mineral free water. If you wish to carry water in tank, simply fill from hose. This makes sure no grit or minerals gets into your trailer system be it sinks or shower. I'm sure someone will say this is too much trouble and equipment. I have used this setup for 25 yrs. First on a yacht that traveled in US and abroad and now on our Airstream. Set up takes 3 minutes and never a problem.

This is a great idea. How many gallons or how often do you have to change those filters? Do you mind sharing name brands? A photo would be great too. No worries if not.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Nebo , North Carolina
Look in RV catalog for stand. #88-8270. Filter housing is listed as #88-8272 and filters also. It seems a bit overpriced. The water softener is a Boji. You order that from West Marine. I would also price filter housing there. It will come with fittings and short hose connector. Appears that may be extra in RV catalog. Unfortunately cannot send set up picture now. Am away from home where Airstream is. If I remember, West Marine has set up photos on many items.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Nebo , North Carolina
Water filter should last all season. Water softener processes 250 gallons and then it is recharged with salt crystals. This is perfect for washing Airstream because it leaves no water spots. Get carbon filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
We have this one connected to our kitchen faucet:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/4...filtration.pdf

It could be connected to provide 'whole house' filtering. 7,500 gallon filtering capacity - have yet to change the filter in 3 years.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
Rivet Slave

Western WA , Washington
Here's what we use to regulate and filter water that comes into Rocinante for our use. Apparently, it's a relatively simple solution. We drink the water, shower in it, flush with it, etc., as we can't be bothered with carrying even more tanks (bottles / jugs) of fresh water in addition to the one that came with our trailer.

Tienda Rocinante - Water Filtration

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
If we use a double filter (sediment/carbon) is there any drawback to filtering out everything including the CL?
Old 05-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #23
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
We use a .5 micron carbon filter and water softener.
It costs $12 for the filter and $.33 for salt.
We regenerate maybe twice a month and replace the filter every couple of months.
All water passes through this prior th enter to entering the system. Soft water is nice with 3 of my women having long hair and no hard water spots is a pleasure too!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1462566672.838503.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	262030
Old 05-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
If we use a double filter (sediment/carbon) is there any drawback to filtering out everything including the CL?
Yes, there is, and you make an excellent point! You really don't want to fill your fresh water tank with non-chlorinated water and then let it sit. That's a recipe to produce a fascinating science fair project, but not necessarily a project you'd want to drink.

I have a carbon filter, but I only use it hooked directly to a pressure system; I fill my tank at home with chlorinated water.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
So maybe I will just use this double filter setup if connected directly into the city water connection. I guess it is okay to fill the tank with regular water at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Yes, there is, and you make an excellent point! You really don't want to fill your fresh water tank with non-chlorinated water and then let it sit. That's a recipe to produce a fascinating science fair project, but not necessarily a project you'd want to drink.

I have a carbon filter, but I only use it hooked directly to a pressure system; I fill my tank at home with chlorinated water.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
I am starting to rethink the double filter and am considering going with just an inline ext filter for simplicity.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:50 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Any recommendations on choosing between an inline or canister filter system?
Old 05-19-2016, 07:01 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I always fill my tank using a filter. I also use the filter when connected to water at a campsite.

Next, you most likely have an filter on the cold water line at your galley sink. Look in the cabinet under the sink.

With no hookups, I like to save the water for showering etc, so then a fill a Brita pitcher from the campground spigot for drinking and cooking.