Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Water filters, winter system draining and etc.

I am just about ready to completely re-plumb the fresh water system in my 1973 31' remodel. I want to install a water filter of some kind in the system. Besides having to figure out what kind to use I also need to decide where to put it in the system. One issue that occurred to me was that a water filter in the system could potentially make it very difficult to drain the water out of the system for winter storage. It seems like it would be pretty hard to install a filter in the system without it creating a high spot in the overall system that would keep the water from draining past it. Also I have wondered if a filter might also prevent water from draining back through it. Do these issues mean that I should install a water drain valve somewhere past the water filter? The original plumping layout had a drain valve at the lowest point in the system down by the fresh water holding tank. So here are some water filter related questions:

1.) What type of water filter should I use?

2.) Where is the best place in the system to install it?

3.) Should I put a water system drain valve after the filter?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Old 12-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
In general, with the canister filters, you have to pull the housing in the fall, empty it out, and drain the lines on both sides. Then a new cartridge in the spring.

Me, I'd put it right downstream of the T where the city water and the output from the pump come together. On the other hand, if you're plumbing in a valve that allows you to fill the freshwater tank come together, there might be reasons to plumb it on the city water side only, under the presumption that the water in the freshwater tank is already filtered.

It is my experience that a 1, 5, or 10 micron sediment cartidge will solve most of the water problems that can be solved with a filter, provided that the incoming water is safe to drink.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote