Old 11-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2007 30' Classic S/O
Kenton , Ohio
Water Filter System

Does anyone use the water filter located in under the sink and how expensive is the filter cartridges. i have a 2007 classic and we take water for drinking and making coffee. The filter looks like an ro type? Does it work good. It would be nice not to take water with us. (Gallon Jugs) and just use the filtered faucet. Any opinions?

Wiremanranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
We use ours for all drinking water purposes. It works great, the water tastes like water should----tasteless. I change the filter once a year. The filter costs between $35 to $50, depending on where you buy it. I keep an eye out for a sale at Camping World.

WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Our situation is the same as John's. We also replace the filter at the beginning of the season. But thanks, you just reminded me to remove it for winterization.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Ours has 2 filters. There's whole house filter under the bathroom vanity. I removed it for the winter and will replace with a new one in spring. On the internet they're priced in the $20 area. In the kitchen sink there's a built in one from Moen. Can't use the faucet without one installed. I also remove that one and have spares for spring. Got it from Amazon about $11 each I think. We drink from it depending on the taste of the water source that I filled the tank from. Works pretty well.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My '07 uses Pur filters (the same ones for the home system....Delta faucets) They are available everywhere...Walmart, Meijer, etc. 3 packs are about $35 not on sale.....sometimes cheaper.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon

Anne-Marie and I have been on the road over three years, and the under the sink filter catches a lot of stuff that the outside filter doesn’t, but bad taste is hard to get out. Even with the extra filter, coffee can taste bad. Anne-Marie is more sensitive to taste and odor in the water than I, but in Champaign Illinois this summer, I had to buy water for coffee because of the taste.

Whenever we need to replace the filter, any large home improvement store has filters, and we always get the one that has charcoal and catches the most cooties, they’re usually colored green on the end.

I have pictures of the install here:

I wrote this April 08, 2009 and posted it on this thread:

I am on the tail end of a major plumbing remodel in the kitchen in our 06 Classic. I have changed out all of plumbing stuff in the sink area. I moved the drainpipes and trap down the wall, and positioned them to make more room under the cabinets. I bought the PEX crimping tool, and the ring cutter, some sections of PEX pipe, and a couple of large bags of assorted PEX parts, so that I could re-route the hot and cold pressure lines to a convenient place to make more storage room under the cabinets. I changed out the Moen faucet that had a filter in the neck of the faucet, for a new kitchen faucet, and a new single flavor drinking water faucet for the filtered water, and an instant 200-degree hot water dispenser.

I installed an under the counter water filter system to provide filtered water for the instant hot water heater and for a little higher grade of filtering for drinking, because the Moen filter had no way to provide filtered water to another fixture.

There are a lot of different options as you have found. Price, level of filtering, ease of filter changing, space that the system takes up under the counter, are filters and parts available after 5 or 10 years, and ease of replacing the entire system if it becomes obsolete, are all factors that I used in my decision in choosing a single stage canister filter for our system.

We have decided to use the GE Single Stage Drinking Water Filter System Model GX1S01C that is available from Home Depot and is a generic sized housing. The filters that are available for this housing are a generic size that fits other brands of housings that accept 9.75 x 2.5 inch filters such as Culligans. The idea of having a generic size and type of water filter means that you should be able to get filters at most any hardware store, or a replacement housing if necessary.

There are smaller systems and larger much more elaborate systems. I was originally looking for a single canister system that allowed filter replacement under pressure, like the one in the fridge at home, but not all sizeable hardware stores even had this type of system much less replacement filters. Some of the larger systems add or use chemicals, and the reverse osmosis systems are large, costly, and complex, and you can’t find replacement parts and filters everywhere.

The water filter is mounted on the back wall of the cabinet under the sink, the pipes and connections are PEX, the filter canister has the type of pipe connections that are hand tightened compression fittings that have grip wings for easy replacement, and every fixture has a shutoff valve feeding it for future repairs.

All of this filtering system is in addition to the outside city water filter. This project got a little bit larger than I was counting on, but now at the end I think that it will work well for us.

darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote