Old 01-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
SF Bay Area , California
Question two water pump switches?

Why are there two water pump switches Ė one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen? thanks

Old 01-09-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
The two switches are there for your convenience. The water pump can be turned on or off at either location. Electrically these switches simply complete the ground path for the pump motor to operate.

McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:45 AM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Many people, myself included, turn the water pump off at night. With the pump switch in the bathroom (mine does not have this option), it makes the middle of the night trip to the bathroom more convienent. They are wired so that flipping either switch changes the state (on/off) of the water pump.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
I think the two switches are a good thing, for convenience, as azfly says. Unfortunately my 2005 Safari has only the kitchen switch, with a "blank" in the bath vanity area. Penny wise, pound foolish (insert your currency of choice).
Old 01-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
More interesting switches

Just because it sounds like you're getting to know your trailer, I thought I'd toss in reference to odd switch in pantry cabinet over stove... That is switch that turns on or off A/C and Microwave, which can't both be active at same time... This is in the manual, but not real obvious, and caused us to do some troubleshooting of dead outlet behyind microwave 'til we figured it out...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
In the "late night noise" category, I feel inclined to point out that the Variable Speed Displacement (VSD) pumps like the late-model FloJet I have in my Overlander do not make any discernable noise in the middle of the night due to some form of drip type leak.

The PAR pumps of old used to hold the system plumbling at 30 psi or so & cycle every so oftern to keep it there. A VSD pump responds to demand, and will not wake you up when it accounts for a mild pressure drop due to a drip.

Two or more switches are great when you are boondocking & trying to conserve battery power, but if most of your camping is on shore power, one water pump switch will suit your needs well.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The good news for me is I can get 2+ flushes with out the pump (built up water pressure).

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Ladysmith , Wisconsin
For some reason, my bathroom water pump switch only turns on now when the kitchen water pump switch is in the ON position. If the kitchen water pump is turned OFF position, the bathroom water pump switch will not turn on.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMerridy View Post
For some reason, my bathroom water pump switch only turns on now when the kitchen water pump switch is in the ON position. If the kitchen water pump is turned OFF position, the bathroom water pump switch will not turn on.
I believe they are wired similar to switches at the top and bottom of the staircase - in other words, you cannot go with the marked switch positions - they mean nothing and change each time one switch is flipped!

Not quite as convenient as the upstairs / downstairs light switch setup wherein you can see right away if you have switched the light off!

Sometimes, If I don't remember which pump switch I used last time, I will open the tap a little and see if the pump runs or not to know if I have switched it off!

Not sure I explained that well - hope it makes sense to you!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
This is strange. Are all late model AS wired with the second bathroom switch. If they are were is it located. I have a 2013 28' and was not aware of a second switch in the bathroom.

Thanks

Doug
Old 06-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
My 04 classic has two switches but must be wired incorrectly since the bathroom switch only works with the kitchen switch turned on. I have not looked for a solution but the project is in the job jar.
2007 Ram 2500
dougandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
We have 2 switches as well. One in the bathroom and one in the overhead control panel over the couch. Turn either switch into the on position and this will light a light in the control panel to indicate pump is on, likewise to the off position and the light in the panel goes off. Having the light in the panel is nice to let you know the pump is on or off, good feature. I feel that if you are not using the water the switch should be turned off, foreseeing a leak or some other issue to arise. Playing it safe!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
On my 04 Classic, the visual position of the switch on the systems panel or in the bathroom does not indicate whether the pump is on or off. Much like a three way switch in my house. If the pump is off, either switch being changed will activate the pump. If the pump is on, either switch being changed will turn it off. If I'm using my fresh water tank when I arrive, I will flip either switch and then turn on the water to verify the pump is active. When departing for home, I flip a switch to another position and then turn on a faucet to verify that the pump has been deactivated.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Typically a rocker switch is mounted in such a way that when the top half of the switch is depressed it is on. If they are mounted horizontal good luck.
The two switches mentioned above are not wired like 3 way switches in your home. Otherwise either switch would operate the pump on or off.
They appear to be wired in series. Meaning the main switch must be "on" to get power to the secondary switch. There is somewhat of an advantage to this setup which is you only have to turn "off" the main switch to disable the pump.
I have 2 switches wired in parallel. Which means I must make sure both are "off" if I want the pump disabled. I wired the second switch in because I would often use the bathroom and have to go to the galley to turn the pump on. Now I just reach up and operate the switch.