Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Turning off Sureflow system when connected to city water

I read in the airstream manual that you need to turn off the sureflow system when you are hooked up to city water. (I have an 08 safari 23fb se).

Is this true?

How do you turn it off?

Manual is a bit lacking on instructions.

Thanks.

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
I read in the airstream manual that you need to turn off the sureflow system when you are hooked up to city water. (I have an 08 safari 23fb se).

Is this true?

How do you turn it off?

Manual is a bit lacking on instructions.

Thanks.

Sandy
Should be a switch labeled pump in the kitchen or bathroom. You can leave it on if the pressure of the city water is lower than the pressure of the pump.
I am not sure why they say turn it off.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
It is really more like "Do not turn it on" when you hook up to city water.

The pump has a check valve in it so that the city water will not "back fill" you FW tank, same for the city water connection so that the pump will not push water out of the city water hook up.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks everyone - think I have got it. A summary

Thanks for the responses - this is pretty straightforward. I thought perhaps there was a second switch on the sureflow unit that had to be flipped but glad to know it is just the pump switch in the bathroom. That is simple.

We'll be trying the unit out for the first time this weekend with full hookups.

Seems pretty simple:
- hook up power to side of unit - use 30/50 amp adapter if required. Flip store/use switch to use while hooked up to city power (ensures batteries are being charged by city power)
- make sure pump switch in bathroom is off and then hook up to city water using fresh water hoses. Turn city water faucet on.
- hook up sewer drain snake to dump outlet in ground. When draining, drain black first by pulling lever then drain gray to wash it out using lgray water lever. Optionally refill black tank using hose input for washing black tank and the repeat. Add several gallons to black tank through toilet before towing since black tank should not be dry whe stored.

I was planning on sanitizing our fresh water systems with a small amount of bleach according to the AS manual. What would the procedure be for doing that if I wanted to sanitize for 4 hours while hooked up to full dump/power/water at our campsite? I understand about putting the very small amt of bleach in the freshwater tank and running it through the faucets but how do you get it into the water heater tank (or do you)?

Thanks for all of the help for a newbie.

Sandy
Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
No City water needed.

I would think you should be on "House Water" add your bleach. Make sure the pump is on. Turn of the water heater, so you are not wasting propane don't bypass the heater, just shut it off.. Then just open the valves at the sink(s) and run the water. You will have to run the hot water for a lot longer to replace all of the water in the water heater. But if the water is still hot or at least warm when you start your cleanout process and you run the hot water until it is cold coming from the faucet furtherest from the water heater then that will be pretty close. I would do the cold water side first, then the hot water side.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
The water pump will not backfill your fresh water tank unless it is defective. Had that problem with this trailer when I first got it - after I was hooked up to city water for a few hours water would start dribbling out of the fresh water overflow. Pump was replaced by Airstream. I've left mine on accidentally several times when hooked up to city water and it doesn't seem to hurt a thing.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
"house water"/procedure for sanitizing

Sorry - newbie question but by "house water' do you mean running water from the freshwater tank or do you mean water from my house?

Just to clarify - if the freshwater tank is already full when I do this sanitizing, do I:

- run hot/cold faucets to empty heater water into gray tank. (Make sure there is no incoming source of water to make sure heater tank is completely empty)
- fill the freshwater tank with clean water and then add bleach to freshwater tank
- run freshwater through cold and hot faucets to get bleach to go throughout pipes
- let stand 4 hours
- run both hot/cold faucets to drain bleached water into gray tank
- empty gray tank
Old 05-04-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Sorry - newbie question but by "house water' do you mean running water from the freshwater tank or do you mean water from my house?

Just to clarify - if the freshwater tank is already full when I do this sanitizing, do I:

- run hot/cold faucets to empty heater water into gray tank. (Make sure there is no incoming source of water to make sure heater tank is completely empty)
- fill the freshwater tank with clean water and then add bleach to freshwater tank
- run freshwater through cold and hot faucets to get bleach to go throughout pipes
- let stand 4 hours
- run both hot/cold faucets to drain bleached water into gray tank
- empty gray tank
You almost had me confused . Here is the procedure .

1- you should not be connected to city water to sanitize
2- no need to be connected to sewer , it's just water
3- start with empty FW tank
4- put bleech in FW tank
5- fill FW tank
6- using pump run all faucets until the water smells of bleech both hot and cold
7 let stand at lest 4 hours
8- empty FW tank and drain pipes
9- refill FW tank with fresh water
10-using pump run all faucets both hot and cold till bleech odor is gone.
It may take repeating 8,9 and 10 . I like to add 1/2 gal of white vinegar to the second rinse to freshen the water and get rid of the bleech odor.
Good luck
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
........ Flip store/use switch to use while hooked up to city power (ensures batteries are being charged by city power)...

Sandy
Just to make sure - the USE switch should always be ON when towing or camping - your tail lights and brakes need power. I only turn that switch off when servicing the batteries (you'd also do it while storing the unit for the winter but I fulltime).

Oh, and congrats + welcome!

Paula
Old 05-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Paula wrote:
"Just to make sure - the USE switch should always be ON when towing or camping - your tail lights and brakes need power. I only turn that switch off when servicing the batteries (you'd also do it while storing the unit for the winter but I fulltime)."

Really?! No one told me that and I have had several walkthroughs on the 08 AS Safari.... Does that mean that the trailer brakes won't operate with my brake controller if the use switch is not ON? I thought that when that switch is on, the entire trailer is drawing power from the batteries. I did not realize the brakes required electrical power...

Sandy
Old 05-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Oh - and thanks for the welcome!!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Just to make sure - the USE switch should always be ON when towing or camping - your tail lights and brakes need power. I only turn that switch off when servicing the batteries (you'd also do it while storing the unit for the winter but I fulltime).

Oh, and congrats + welcome!

Paula
The trailer tail, brake, and running lights as well as the trailer brakes get their power from the tow vehicle.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
The trailer tail, brake, and running lights as well as the trailer brakes get their power from the tow vehicle.

Regards,
Ken
This is true , but the breakaway switch gets it's power from the trailer battery.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2 View Post
This is true , but the breakaway switch gets it's power from the trailer battery.
Your statement is also true. However on my trailer at least, the breakaway switch is on the battery side of the kill switch.

Regards,

Ken
Old 05-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
That makes sense , on my older unit there is no "use' switch for the battery.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
The water pump will not backfill your fresh water tank unless it is defective. Had that problem with this trailer when I first got it - after I was hooked up to city water for a few hours water would start dribbling out of the fresh water overflow. Pump was replaced by Airstream. I've left mine on accidentally several times when hooked up to city water and it doesn't seem to hurt a thing.
I had that problem too. I installed a check valve just past the water pump so it never sees city water pressure.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
I've left mine on accidentally several times when hooked up to city water and it doesn't seem to hurt a thing.
My manual states that the water pump may be be turned on to augment the water flow if city water pressure is low. I tested this and it does work as advertised (at least until you drain your tank).

regards,
Ken
Old 05-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Break Away Switch

I don't have a new AS, but I would think the Break Away switch would be connected to the House (Trailer) battery with no way to disable it. If you are on the road and lose your trailer (heaven forbid) and you have your break away switch disabled it kind of defeats the purpose of having it. I have never heard of this USE switch. What is its function?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I don't have a new AS, but I would think the Break Away switch would be connected to the House (Trailer) battery with no way to disable it. If you are on the road and lose your trailer (heaven forbid) and you have your break away switch disabled it kind of defeats the purpose of having it. I have never heard of this USE switch. What is its function?
That is the way the break away switch is wired on my 2010 trailer. It is always conected to the battery.

The switch in question (store - use) is one of various names and types of switches that serve the function of isolating the battery from the loads in the trailer to reduce battery drain when the trailer is not in use.

hope that helps,

Ken