Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Truma WH owners, worth it?

Opinions please!!! I got a quote, in round numbers, for $2000 to install a Truma Water Heater in my Airstream. Obviously, I cannot buy one and DIY, but even if I did, the parts, shipping, tax, etc are about $1600 of that. That is double the price of a new Atwood EXT if I ever wanted to go that route.
Can you help me understand why the Truma is worth that much money to you? Serious question. Thanks,

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Bump...still looking for opinions.

Larry
Old 07-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Larry,

You did not mention which model of Truma heater you were quoted. Truma offers two model types, the Basic, which is a standard on-demand water heater, and the Eco/Comfort which is a re-circulating, on-demand water heater. The Eco/Comfort model requires re-plumbing your hot water lines and adds considerable cost.

The Truma Basic and the Precision Temp LP RV-550 are both standard on-demand types and sell for a little over a grand.

The ATWOOD XT EXOTHERMAL is a tanked water heater that uses a novel system to provide more hot water than its nominal 6 or 10 gallon capacity.
It achieves this by heating the water to a much higher temperature in the tank and then mixing this hot water with cold to reduce the temperature to a normal level.
Atwood states that the 6 gal XT will provide 9 gal. of hot water and the 10 gal. will provide 16 gallons.

The biggest advantage of an on-demand type is that you get hot water until you run out of propane. They also are more energy efficient since they only run when hot water is demanded.

Hope this helps,

Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Pat,

I was quoted $1233 for the Basic, then there is the door and trim kit, etc., etc. The labor estimate was $400, which seemed fair. I am not trying to fuss with the price, I am just trying to understand why $2000 can be seen as a reasonable price to pay for endless hot water. We have never used up the capacity of our Atwood EXT. I do like electric capability but not if I have to replace that element or relay again. On demand has a certain energy efficiency appeal to it, but I would need to use a lot of propane to justify the cost difference to a conventional tank heater. I am just curious how others have justified the cost of a Truma, in their own minds.

Larry
Old 07-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Larry,

My personal opinion is that it is primarily a functional, not economic, decision. Since you stated that ya'll don't run out of hot water, it probably does not make sense to go on-demand. If, on the other hand, you had a significant other or daughter who frequently ran out of hot water in the middle of washing her hair; an on-demand heater might be very attractive.

Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It's one of those 'wife likes long hot shower ' things in our case. Tankless provides a shower that does not get cold as long as we have water hookups and plenty of propane.

Happy wife is priceless.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Thanks, the wife has not been an issue so it would probably be a waste of dollars for me.

Larry
Old 07-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We tend to camp in colder weather, so her long hot showers are vital. If you can do well with a smaller hot water tank system it's the right choice.

The other minor irritation the tankless solved for us was it's less noisy than the 6 gallon Atwood we replaced. It's located in the closet by the head of our bed and the noise was irritating. It also removed about 42 pounds forward on the curbside
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have the Truma Comfort, which is the model in between the basic and Comfort Plus. The Comfort allows you to set to Eco mode which won't try to keep the water in the hybrid tank at 110v but 40F. This is to prevent freezing with using excessive propane.
Some observations after using it on some trips including in cold weather.
Nice to turn it on in the bathroom and within a minute have hot water running.
It uses less propane. My Atwood would burn over 1/2 hour to heat water.
The Truma is lighter. No 6gal of water (50lb) to carry around.
Winterizing is simple, pull a door down and it empties the system. There is a filter you can clean.
The water in the Truma is set to 120F while our old Atwood was much hotter, too hot. That is a good and bad thing. 120F is just right for showers, we still have to mix cold water and the bathroom sink. 120F may not be to your liking for kitchen use especially if your kitchen sink is located the farthest from water heater. In cold weather it takes longer to get the hot water through the cold pipes. The Atwood heats the water so hot the hot water seems to come through the kitchen faucet faster while you have to run the faucet a little more to get the hottest water with the Truma. In hot weather the effects of cold pipes are not noticeable.
When I traveled to Yellowstone in June I noticed the Truma pressure relief valve let some water out climbing to Yellowstone and on the return trip coming down in altitude. I travel with water pump off and presure relieved but faucets closed. It was fine in GTNP and Yellowstone. It pressure relief valve hasn't opened since our trip so it must be normal for climbing and descending altitude.
The shop that did my Truma created anAluminum cover plate and painted the white trim. There was some minor replumbing and mounting changes required.

Is it worth it? If you are a bean counter you could argue it may not be worth it but then a bean counter wouldn't buy any RV.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ml#post1891931
Old 07-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Sammamish , Washington
I have the Truma Comfort as well.

Our decision came down to how we work as a family while RVing.

Our family of 4 tends to do more shore power camping/glamping and enjoy our nice rv parks and resorts vs boondocking...this makes Truma a great investment. Formerly it would take us almost 90 min to 2 hours to get everyone showered and ready...because we had to wait 20 minutes each time someone was done with the shower. Kids our age understand the concept of sailor showers, but the execution....not so well.

If the majority time you boondock, I'd say it is not worth it...you'll never really experience it due to water conservation you HAVE to do anyway.

As far as other models or brands I have no experience. For us, this was one of the best upgrades for our family.
2SIMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I would say the benefit for boondocking would be less propane use when heating from ambient water temperature. I've been outside to observe the burner and it lights and before a minute is up the burner shuts off to heat the water in hybrid tank.

Kelvin
Old 07-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Sammamish , Washington
Agree, it's more efficient on your propane we definitely notice that too.
2SIMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Again, thanks. It appears that the major plus is unlimited hot water. I have a Rinnai at home, have for over 10 years, so I know the ups and downs. I have a circ pump at home because of the long runs of pipe and the dishwasher needs hot water.
Larry
Old 07-06-2017, 12:33 PM   #14
Giovanni

2015 28' International
St Helena , California
I installed the Comfort and it is amazing. I fully agree with the advocates. My wife can take long showers and it's miserly with the propane. I did upgrade my Propane bottles to the large Aluminum like on the new Classics. The comfort is quiet and I have never had an issue in over a year of regular use. Our 28 foot is used as a second guest house in Napa!

JB
Jbuccola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
We install Truma models at our shop. Comparative to Atwood and suburban(yuk) tank heaters and the precision temp rv550, they are built with much more quality than the above.

Dependent on water and exterior temp, you will never see less than105dg f.

Propane usage is much much less than an Atwood. They are much quieter as well.

The newest model comfort comes with a multi function rotary switch, so you no longer have to go outside and turn unit on or off or switch it to eco. It also has a defrost heating element to prevent freeze up when propane is not in use.

We handled the installation on KJRitchies trailer, and it was a pretty standard install.

We prefer to use truma whenever possible, if budgets allow, for a top notch water heater.

The comfort plus model is only available from Oem installers, typical Truma dealers cannot even order them. But those would require a circulation loop to be added.
The basic and comfort models essentially drop right in.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1961 28' Ambassador
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Where can I purchase the newest model of the Truma Comfort?
rowdyATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I purchased mine and had it installed at A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, TX, just sw of Decautur. The install includes a custom aluminum door trim for the outside door and aluminum paint on the trim.

Kelvin
Old 01-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1961 28' Ambassador
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I purchased mine and had it installed at A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, TX, just sw of Decautur. The install includes a custom aluminum door trim for the outside door and aluminum paint on the trim.

Kelvin

Thanks Kevin. Can you provide a photo and any notes or advice?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas

Those photos is before I had the Truma upgraded to include the inside controls to allow ECO mode to be turned on/off plus normal, off, extreme cold feature and cleaning feature. Current models include the inside controls.

Kelvin
Old 01-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1961 28' Ambassador
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

Those photos is before I had the Truma upgraded to include the inside controls to allow ECO mode to be turned on/off plus normal, off, extreme cold feature and cleaning feature. Current models include the inside controls.

Kelvin

It looks like you are a big fan of A&P. Do you recommend them for certain things??