Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Truma AquaGo tankless water heater

has anyone tried or have experience with this tank less water heater.
it look very compact and efficient
https://www.truma.com/us/en/water-systems/aquago.php

can it replace the default system in an AS

we have a sport 22FB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truma-aquago-image.PNG
Views:	389
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	281667   Click image for larger version

Name:	truma-aquago-tech.PNG
Views:	514
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	281668  

Click image for larger version

Name:	truma-aquago-details.PNG
Views:	620
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	281669  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
It is designed to be a replacement fit, for standard Suburban and Atwood size units. They work really well and as of my last readings, were not being sold directly, and retail for $1000-$1500 depending on model.

Oh ya, it's what's in the basecamp.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
tnx.
where did you get yours as there is no direct sale?
do you need a AS dealer to install it?
Old 03-19-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
I found this report someone posted via irv2.com:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...TGykSVnP_Ek7j8

It sounds like it might address some of the problems I have with the atwood on demand heater.
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

After looking real quick it seems you should now be able to get them from dealers, early last year they only provided to OEM.

Once I'd researched the cost, I decided that where most of my use is boondocking the price/value wasn't really justifiable. If you spend a good deal of time with full hookups, then it is easily justifiable. Endless hot water is useless, if you're rationing your water.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have an early USA release model of the "Truma AquaGo comfort" in both the 2014 31' Classic and the 2015 23D International Serenity. This is the middle model which can protect itself from freezing. There is only 12Vdc control circuitry and the propane connection. There is a single three way switch (ECO mode: water at 41 degrees - off - Comfort mode: water at 102 degrees) that allows a small container of water to be kept warm (looks to be around an 8 oz glass size) that starts the flow of warm water as the tank heats up.

We had A&P Vintage Trailer Works install them along with other custom work they did on both trailers. They are an authorized installer and service center for that Truma line as well as Airstreams.

We have been very pleased with the Truma and they work great off grid only heating water when needed. In our experience, they are easy on the propane.

The new models have the option to have a 12Vdc anti-freeze system in the heater.

The 6 gallons of stored water weight of about 50 pounds in a Dometic tank heater is now added to additional payload capacity of both trailers.

This is a link to the Trauma manual and documentation:

https://www.truma.com/downloadcenter...llation_us.pdf

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
It is designed to be a replacement fit, for standard Suburban and Atwood size units. They work really well and as of my last readings, were not being sold directly, and retail for $1000-$1500 depending on model.

Oh ya, it's what's in the basecamp.
It's the same BRAND that's in a Basecamp but not the same model. That one is called a "Combi Eco" and is designed for dual duty for hydronic heating and domestic hot water.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
Giovanni

2015 28' International
St Helena , California
I replaced my stock system with the Truma, installed and purchased from my AS dealer. It has been FANTASTIC! Easy on propane and works as advertised. Now my wife can take long showers!
We use the 28' IS as an extra guest house during the off season and it has eliminated the hot water issues with guests as well.

JB
Jbuccola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
is there an advantage for the comfort PLUS model.
i see that it does re-circulation
Old 03-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
2018 16' Sport
Long beach , Mississippi
Truma

Have one in my Basecamp, love it...
Jazgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

The Combi units are made for heat (furnace) and hot water. The PLUS units are made with an recirculation pump built in, so you would need to be able to tap of the hot water line right before the faucet and install a return line back to the unit and you'll always have hot water waiting at the faucet. (If you have propane and electricity)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
I called the AS factory to see if they can install it in my sport that has not been built yet. they say the dealer has to ask the question. since truma products are already in the basecamp. adding the comfort plus model to a sport at the factory would be best
Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
As part of my renovation at A&P I had the Atwood replaced with the Truma AquaGo Comfort.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f366...ml#post1891931

Paul custom makes the aluminum cover as the Truma only comes in white. I believe the trim ring is painted.

I've only had one chance to use it and that was last December when we picked up the trailer. Spent two nights but didn't try the shower. The second day I had to winterize at the full hookup campsite because 5F weather was due later that day. Winterizing the Truma is a breeze. Pull the door down and the small reservoir drains. No plug to unscrew. Still use the diverter valve to bypass the water heater.

I like it doesn't have to heat up 6 gallons of water.

I've not had enough time to use it to give a decent review. Here is what I notice for the two nights of use.

The Truma limits the water temperature to 120F as stated in the manual. They show a chart of scalding times per water temperature. While 120F is hot it won't scald you unless you hold your skin under the water for 2 minutes. I would prefer the Truma could heat to about 127 to 130F. Since the outside air was cold on the two nights of use, in the 20s, I found when running the kitchen sink (furthest from the tank) the water started out cold then transitioned to the hot then tempered for a few seconds then went back to the higher temperature and seemed to stay steady. The Truma was set to the highest comfort setting, 110F vs 40F. At 110F it only has to heat the water 10F before sending out to the faucet. We were connected to city water and it was very cold water. Maybe during more temperate weather the water will feel hotter since the water doesn't have to go through cold pipes. I suspect, since Truma is a German manufacturer, they are probably having to conform to some EU regulation.

I'm not sure how the shower water temperature will feel. I have the Delta mixed faucet set to provide the hottest and just running the shower over my hand the water didn't feel hot enough where I had to mix in cold like when the Atwood was in use. May others can comment on shower use.

My Atwood would get the water so hot I had to be careful when running only hot in the kitchen sink.

The Truma Comfort Plus cost about $1100 and then the labor to install and trim out.

Kelvin
Old 03-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
im looking at the plus model for the recirculate feature is there a reason you did not pick that model
Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
The continuous circulation will use more propane at a much higher level than intermittent use (60,000 BTU heater in the Truma) and will draw more battery power. The coach has to be plumbed with a third water line to be able to circulate the water past the hot water valve and return to the heater.

The middle model called the "comfort" is the best choice for most folks. I believe the circulating model is installed into the new Classic as it has hot water heat. Probably makes that coach a RV park model only versus boon docking.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 AM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The continuous circulation will use more propane at a much higher level than intermittent use (60,000 BTU heater in the Truma) and will draw more battery power. The coach has to be plumbed with a third water line to be able to circulate the water past the hot water valve and return to the heater.

The middle model called the "comfort" is the best choice for most folks. I believe the circulating model is installed into the new Classic as it has hot water heat. Probably makes that coach a RV park model only versus boon docking.
The middle ground (I don't know if this is an available mode though) would be momentary on-demand circulation. Touch a control and the circulation pump runs for X minutes so there's no wait for hot water anywhere in the system (saving water) but not the constant energy required by the circulation pump and burner. I'd actually like to set up a circulator that way in our house, the master bath is a LONG way from the tankless water heater and the previous owners used small-diameter PEX. Wastes a lot of water to bring hot to the shower.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
That is why in my flat in the UK, the shower has it's own instant water heater in the shower. The boiler not only heats the house but the hot water for the bathroom and kitchen sinks. In some homes, there is a small instant on under every sink. They can do this because they use basically 240 Vac so the current draw is manageable for these devices.

The shower water flow decreases with higher temperatures as it has to pass thru the heater element for a little longer to get hotter.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I'd actually like to set up a circulator that way in our house, the master bath is a LONG way from the tankless water heater and the previous owners used small-diameter PEX. Wastes a lot of water to bring hot to the shower.
You've got that reversed. Small diameter run, will waste less water, to clear the cold out of the tube.

.5" PEX 30' run wastes 1.25 gal
.75" PEX 30' run wastes 2.75 gal

The Truma being sold in this country means it has to meet US regulations, not European regulations.

The water temp settings are non adjustable, from all my research. The way around this, for those doing a remodel, is to get the Combi unit, these can be your furnace and hot water, when the furnace is running the unit is heated to 165° and the hot water can't be regulated, so there's a disclaimer. Just turn the furnace up, jump in the shower and use the cold to temper it as usual.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #19

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
You've got that reversed. Small diameter run, will waste less water, to clear the cold out of the tube.

.5" PEX 30' run wastes 1.25 gal
.75" PEX 30' run wastes 2.75 gal

The Truma being sold in this country means it has to meet US regulations, not European regulations.

The water temp settings are non adjustable, from all my research. The way around this, for those doing a remodel, is to get the Combi unit, these can be your furnace and hot water, when the furnace is running the unit is heated to 165° and the hot water can't be regulated, so there's a disclaimer. Just turn the furnace up, jump in the shower and use the cold to temper it as usual.
I didn't write that clearly. The long run of skinny pipe makes it take a long TIME to get the hot water to the bathroom (because of the reduced flow rate from the friction of the pipe walls). That may end up being a wash in the end (so to speak), but the skinny pipe is disappointing because of the flow by the time it gets to the master bath as compared, say, to the kitchen and half-bath taps that are near the service entrance. I didn't mean to suggest that we'd save water with bigger pipe, we'd save water with a circulator that could run for a couple minutes on demand before starting a shower.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
my dealer want to look at these competing units Girard GSWH-2 from www.greenrvproducts.com and Precision temp RV-550 from www.precisiontemp.com any have experience with these units