Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2004, 10:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

troubleshooting water pump

hi...i have reviewed several pages on this forum to attempt to get a handle on how to troubleshoot my water pump. have also read the owner's manual. here's what i've been able to assess so far after researching:

right now, i am trying to determine if i have a fuse problem that prevents my water pump from working or if i need to replace the pump proper. my husband and i were having difficulty locating the fuse in our 91 excella. the front panel behind the sofa in the forward end of the trailer does not have a fuse that screams "water pump" and the fuse box in the overhead bin above the bed in the back of the trailer did not have any tripped fuses.

read in the forum about an 'inline' fuse...is that what i have and does that mean i look somewhere in/around the pump itself? (the pump is located in the bottom of the wardrobe--fyi). what does the fuse look like? is it unusual or does it look like every other fuse i've ever seen?

thanks for your feedback...would like to make sure the fuse is the problem before i tackle replacing a pump!
Old 07-06-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Your pump is 12 volt, and will run through one of the circuits in the front panel. On your coach, I believe those are self-resetting thermal type circuit breakers. I could be wrong.

There should be an inline fuse on the red power lead going to the pump itself. It will be in a plastic holder - most likely black or white plastic - and will be very close to the pump itself.

Good luck,

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:04 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

thanks mark...i am forwarding your response to my husband who is with the airstream in dallas. i will have him check for the in line fuse tonight and let you know what he finds. i appreciate your quick response. thank you again!
Old 07-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
WARNING: This is only for 12 volt pumps!!!! If the fuses are still confusing, go to a truck parts store or a truck stop and get a 12 volt replacement lamp, just a light socket with two wires coming off of it. Put in a 12 volt light and have him check the wires going to the pump. Light lights up, you have electricity. (BTW, he can just turn the switch to the pump off, take the wires off of the pump, turn on the switch and hold the light wires to the pump line.)

If you have electricity, the next step is to "Bench test" the pump. This means that you disconnect the pump from the water system, put the inlet hose in a bucket of water and the outlet hose to the outside or down a sink drain. Turn it on. If the pump operates then you have a blocked pipe somewhere between your water pump and the closest water faucet. If the pump does not turn on, the pump is dead.

I just went through some of this my self, so post and I'll answer what I can!

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

ok john, will forward this to george...i can't remember if we are twelve volt or not...he can look up in owners's manual if he doesn't know...thanks for the extended explanation as it may be what we need to do...i will let you know what george discovers when he get on it tonight...thanks again.