Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2003, 02:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Thermocouple and Thermostat....HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!

We've come to the conclusion that we need a new thermocouple and thermostat for our 6 gal original equipment water heater. I've seen postings where people have used an Atwood brand thermocouple and thermostat. So I start nosing around on the internet for someone to sell it to us......$27 for the thermocouple and an unbelievable $90 for the thermostat!

That's outrageous! I've bought 2 other thermocouples in the last month and paid about $4 a piece for them. $27? That's just a plain and simple rip off as far as I can see. What's with the price gouging? Thermostats I assumed would be something like $30...but no, they want 3 times that.

I could get a whole new water heater for about $100 more...but I dont want to spend that and plus, if Atwood is such a rip off company (and I've seen plenty of complaints about those thermostats and thermocouples NOT working on some fairly new models) that I don't want anything to do with them.

It's got a Suburban thermostat in it now and it looks like a plain jane thermocouple, but what do i know?
Does anyone know of a brand of thermostat I could use or a thermocouple that would work? I just want a little hot water man...I'm not asking for that much!

Thanks guys!
Old 12-23-2003, 02:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

A thermostat from a 6 gal. RV is no different than one from a 55 gal propane hot water heater that are in millions of homes. Stay away from the RV joints, and try bottled gas distributors, and plumbing supply houses.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 02:41 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
A generic thermocouple will work as well. You do not need the Atwood one, just one with the right length probe.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote