Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Tepid water, lots of air bubbles

I am bringing my sleeping (winterized) 2010 Sport back into camping shape, and an having problems with hot water. It is tepid, after the hot water heater has fired for 10 to 15 minutes. I have gas and ignition, I am running water from the tank and have both hot and cold water pressure at the tap. There is a lot of air in the hot water side tap. I have attached here a picture of the water heater valves, located in my trailer under a lift up panel in the closet. I used these valves to assist my winterization, and swear they are in the right position, but...
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Spot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	132477  

Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Try opening the pressure relief valve, outside on the tank itself, looks just like the one on your home unit, should help bleed off the air.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ing-76042.html

Don't keep the tank on until AFTER all the air is OUT!

It can sometimes be a pain getting all the air out of the system after winterizing'

Valves look to be ok.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I agree, the valves appear to be in the correct positions for use. Leave the water heater turned off (both gas & elec) until you've purged all the air out of the system. When you drained everything in the fall you essentially had 6 gals of air in the tank. When you connected your hose you ended up with water and about 6 gal of air pressurized to about 50 psi give or take. Open a cold water faucet until it runs steady, then open the next, then do the hot faucets. The first hw faucet may sputter and spray a lot until all of the air is out.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Thanks, gents. I have run what seems to me like quite a bit of water through the hot water side, but will do some more in the morning. I appreciate your looking at my valve placement; seemed right to me, but I wanted to check with some veterans.
Spot
Old 06-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
More volume is better

If you have access to city water it makes it a lot easier to de winterize because you can put some serious volume of water thru the system.
When I return home from a trip, I always drain all of the holding tanks including the fresh water tank and the water heater.
When I get ready for the road I fill the fresh water tank and then connect to the city water to fill the water heater and as mentioned above open the pressure relief to get as much air out as possible. I also open all faucets and flush the toilet to get as much air out of the system as possible while on city water.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Still frustrated.
I hooked to city water, flushed at least 50 gallons through the system (both hot and cold), and have rid the tap water of bubbles. But I am still getting no hot water; tepid, but not hot. The water heater fires immediately, and keeps running, but I have no idea what it is heating. I have tried with both city water and tank/pump. I have given it 15 minutes, no red light is present on the switch. Cycled three times. What the heck?
Spot
Old 06-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Check to be sure the bypass valve is really closed. It looks like it is in the photo (it's the one that connects the white and red pieces of pipe) but possibly the handle isn't attached quite right or the valve is defective.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
POI...it usually takes our 6gal 45-1hr to fully heat.

You say it has cycled several times...if you carefully open the press relief valve is the water HOT there? Turn on the hot water and feel one of the RED lines, is it hot there?
Could be the thermostat on the side of the tank.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 06-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Checkin' again!
Spot
Old 06-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
OK.
Cycled all of the valves - nothing seemed amiss, or "mostly closed," although I know how much that observation is worth! The water coming out of both the water heater (red pipes) and the pressure relief valve is luke warm; same as the tap. But it is getting warmer each time; not enough to take a shower, but something is happening. Suggestions?
Spot
Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Patience...give it an hour and re-check.

RLC

RLC
Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
LOL, I had to do that this morning, Robert! I gotta say, as a new Airstream owner, it is frustrating for things to not work. I thought that is what I paid the big bucks for? But I still love the little aluminum can, and will be patient with it. I have opted to lash some bamboo for my wife's tomatoes in the meantime. Kinda Zen, don't you think?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
LOL, I had to do that this morning, Robert! I gotta say, as a new Airstream owner, it is frustrating for things to not work. I thought that is what I paid the big bucks for? But I still love the little aluminum can, and will be patient with it. I have opted to lash some bamboo for my wife's tomatoes in the meantime. Kinda Zen, don't you think?
ZEN....yep!!

Just wait till you light the Fridge. Go'n out tomorrow...light it NOW.

You'll get used to it.

RLC

RLC
Old 06-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
The fridge works; that was yesterday. I still need to fire up the propane room heater, although it is doubtful that I will need that in Southern Utah at this point.
Spot