Old 09-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Durango , Colorado
Tankless Water Heater or Standard?

Help Please! I got myself into a pickle and bought an Airstream that is ending up needing quite the work. The pressing topic right now though is a water heater. I live in Northwestern New Mexico / Southwestern Colorado so it definitely gets cold and I will be wintering in it. I'm a nurse so at the end of a day or night ... I need my hot shower to clean off the day. I would like water pressure, which concerns me about the tankless, but I also would like a shower that lasts longer than 5 minutes, my concern with the standard 10 gallon. Any suggestions? I have to order it ASAP since the guy is working on it this week. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
I saw the tankless at Camping world the about a month ago. They would have do the install (i would think) as it would require rerouting the plumbing and maybe some electrical mods.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you have a working hot water heater installed already, I'd try it before you spend a lot of money on a tankless heater. We frequently take two teenage granddaughters with us; and while my wife and I try to conserve water, on occasion, the two girls have managed to use up nearly our entire freshwater tank taking showers. (My wife and I now take our showers first, and the girls take theirs afterwards.)

In any case, we have never run out of hot water with the OEM hot water heater.

Note: You will probably need heavier electrical wiring for an electric heater. And regardless of whether gas or electric, tankless heaters use a lot of energy, and fast (on demand). If it's gas, your propane use may be equivalent to running the furnace in subfreezing weather; at least while you're in the shower.

Just a thought...
Old 09-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
We had an RV-500 in our last trailer, with the Oxygenics Shower head. It worked quite well. We were just talking about what to install in our new one and we will go with the RV-500 again, unless Atwood comes out with one at a much better price in the next two months.

Be careful of two things in cold weather. Since it has no big, warm tank of water, it is more prone to freezing. Either drain it or get the cold weather option.

Also, it is designed to raise 1 gallon of water per minute by 85 degrees -- or 2 gpm by 42.5 degrees -- and so on. If your cold water supply is very cold, you won't get as much warm water flow.

Finally, if the RVDoctor is correct, it uses much less fuel than the traditional tank heaters.
We didn't find it to be an energy hog.

John
Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Durango , Colorado
It doesn't have a hot water heater in it currently & the guy that is working on it has installed both before so that shouldn't be a problem. I did read about the cold weather option & figured that is an obvious choice but good to think about the fact that it will be extremely cold water coming in. My electrical definitely would not support an electric water heater so it will definitely be on propane. Thanks for all the input - hopefully I'll choose correctly!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I would take a serious look at the New Girard Tankless Hot water heater. It has an adjustable dial instead of the high low switch. I think it will make it much easer to use and PPL has it for under $600.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I just bought the new Girard...and yes, under $600 with free shipping. I'm excited at the prospect of installing this on-demand system in my '72 Trade Wind.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I can't speak about the tankless water heater but I would recommend the Oxygenics Shower head. We had one in our previous trailer and it seemed to use less water than the standard rv type and gave a decent shower.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktos55343
I just bought the new Girard...and yes, under $600 with free shipping. I'm excited at the prospect of installing this on-demand system in my '72 Trade Wind.
I sent the first one back to get the new model. Have you received yours from PPL yet?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
No, I haven't...but it should be coming any day now (not that I'm ready to install....looooong time before I will be able to do that)