Old 10-27-2004, 09:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Ebay listing...

I found an Excel listed at the following Ebay site. It does look interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...849004154&rd=1

The Ebay site listed the home site for Excel:

http://www.excelamerica.com/

Has anyone reading the forums actually used one yet in their AS?

Malcolm

Old 10-27-2004, 09:47 PM   #16
Site Team

, Minnesota
I'd be very reluctant to install a ventless heater in an airstream. In a house, yes; in a small confined trailer - no.

Excel makes a very fine looking vented heater (takes 65w. exhaust blower) that puts out more hot water.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:44 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

My neighbors have a Bosch tankless monster installed on their house and it does not work very well at all.
This thing is 4 feet high and it takes FOREVER to get hot H20.
When the water finally gets there it is not very hot.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76251
My neighbors have a Bosch tankless monster installed on their house and it does not work very well at all.
This thing is 4 feet high and it takes FOREVER to get hot H20.
When the water finally gets there it is not very hot.
You might check with you neighbor about there wate source. I was having the same problem when my filters were needing changing. Something about flow rate being too low and turning on and off.

From their site
1. This appliance shall be installed by a qualified technician
2. This appliance shall not be installed inside bathrooms or bedrooms.
3. Use proper pipe for hot water instalation
4. Ventilation:This appliance consumes oxygen and the place where it is installed has to be properly ventilated

I would expect that Oxy sensor to turn off the heater after about 2 gallons in a trailer unless you had the windows open. What effect would it have on the Air Conditioning?
Old 12-03-2004, 08:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Japanese Technology, Italian design, made in Asia and sold in America. That's what you call international hot water.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The excel water heater is interesting. uses a flashlight battery for the igniter and burns clean enough so that it is intended for interior non vented use, except in small nonvented rooms. It almost appears that you could make an exterior ventilated cabinet where the current RV hot water heater is to install the excel in.

From what I can tell, it is an unregulated heater. This means the output temperature will be higher with low flow and lower with high flow. The RV-500, on the other hand, keeps the output at a set temperature regardless of the flow and this may be a primary reason for its cost.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:03 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Over59,
Good point on the neighbor's tankless Bosch.
I would assume that also except it has done poorly since day one.
They have at least 40 psi going to it and the pressure is good throughout the house.

There must be something to tankless heaters though as their price remains pretty high on eBay..........I just don't get it yet.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:22 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
Euro caravans

I've seen the tankless water heaters in "caravans" in both Europe and Australia. The ones that I have seen have all been mounted in the bath area or other interior spaces directly on the wall - not hidden beneath furniture or cabinets. In fact, most are hanging right in the very very very tiny showers!

I think tankless is the norm outside of the States - we're a slave to old technology and ways of thought here, I guess.
MarkCinCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:00 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

The best heater we know of is the Excel ventfree tankless gas water heater.

It has state of the art technology and requires no outside exhaust.

available on ebay and ebay stores " excelamerica "
Old 01-19-2005, 09:03 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

We recommend an Excel Vent Free instant tankless gas Water Heater, they list for about 499 , but you can buy them on ebay for about 300 or on ebay stores excelamerica

Much better than an Aquastar and it does not need a vent as it has state of the art ODS device (oxygen depletion sensor) kind of like a circuit breaker for gas appliances
Old 01-19-2005, 09:05 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Excel puts out 38,000 BTU, much like the gas burners in a typical stove.

Of course , like with any gas appliance, proper venting is recommended.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
How do you feel about all that heat going into your trailer? These put out CO2 and H2O (water vapor). The discharge air can hold this water because it is hot. Hot air hold more water in vapor. If you are hooked up you can run the AC more. In cool weather you will have condensation, not just on the interior surfaces. In the wall spaces as water vapor gets everywhere.

Can the excel be modified to vent? Then I think they'll have something. An AS is a small enclose unvented space unless you have the windows open which is not helpful for the AC.

If you are hooked up to electric then why not just use an electric on demand. http://www.plumbingworld.com/eemaxso.html
Old 01-19-2005, 10:59 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
A questions about the Excel- It does not appear to have a regulated output temperature - is this so? (to have a regulated output it would need to have a variable burner like the RV-500). It seems that an unregulated water heater would only require a bit of adjustment to flow and mixing to get a desired temperature but then, there is also risk of excessively hot water if one is not careful.

The instructions for the Excell make it very clear that it is not to be used in small enclosed rooms (like bathrooms) so special care would be needed in an RV, such as mounting it in an external, vented compartment. I think this could be done with a bit of adaptation to the compartment a tank type typical RV water heater fits in.

The gas burners on a typical stove are about 5,000 BTU/hr and the burner on a typical 6 gallon tank water heater for RV's is about 15,000 BTU/hr.

Note that there are many warnings about using those 5kBTU/hr burners for RV heating! Even a super efficient 40k BTU/hr burner such as the Excell has should not be accepted inside an RV.