Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Tankless

Anyone out there using a tankless water heater setup that can give some imput?

Old 12-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
InsideOut-Shari has done some very nice work with a tankless water tank. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f91/...-31084-28.html. I'm sure she will chime in when she can.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
can`t find 1 small enough,with enough flow to make it work,could make a closet into heater room ,but not.I just flip off switch at night and it doesn`t use that much gas.
Dave
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We used a Precision Temp "Shower Mate". It is small enough to fit in the corner under our kitchen cabinets. We installed it on drawer glides so it is easier to get behind to mess with the fittings if need be. You can see some pics of it here in post #391. Please note though that it is a "SHOWER MATE" not a Twin Temp as noted...I picked up my error a few posts down (#403)... The main difference between the two is the Twin Temp also has a heater function and the Shower Mate does not.

We have been real happy with it - as long as we have hook-ups, we can take as long of a shower as we want. The only thing I would advise is if you plan on boondocking a bunch, be sure to locate it near the shower/sinks so you don't have a long run of cold water to clear out of the lines to get to the hot. But that goes without saying with any water heater...

We haven't had any trouble with the flow vs size of the unit...it's actually rather compact ~

Thanks for the heads up & link Lee!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
With Tankless or something like an Atwood hot water heater is it possible to retain the vintage vents on skin from the old Bowen on a 65 Ambie??
Old 12-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Rv 500

Take a look at the RV 500 tankless water heater by precision temp. It is designed to fit in the same space as the old 6 gal or 10 gallon tank type water heater. You can get the stainless outside door that looks great on the Airstream. Endless hot water with hookups and propane. I have had mine for about 5 years and it works great.

Don

PrecisionTemp.com: For Recreational Vehicles and Boats
Old 12-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Take a look at the RV 500 tankless water heater by precision temp. It is designed to fit in the same space as the old 6 gal or 10 gallon tank type water heater. You can get the stainless outside door that looks great on the Airstream. Endless hot water with hookups and propane. I have had mine for about 5 years and it works great.

Don

PrecisionTemp.com: For Recreational Vehicles and Boats
We have a Precision Temp RV500 in our Caravel. It was installed by the previous owner. It quit while on a trip to the east coast. We stopped into the Precision Temp factory in Cincinnati and they had us hooked to water and a tech working on it before I had the engine shut off. They charged for the repair as the unit was out of warranty, but it has worked just fine ever since.

The only down side is when boondocking, it uses some water for start-up. That water can be saved and put back in the fresh water tank.

When you have hook-ups, you have all the hot water you want, anytime you want, and are never heating water you don't use. Really saves on propane.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Atwood water heater

Here is a picture of the furnace and water heater vents on my '63 Tradewind.

I replaced the original International Oil Burner (LP) furnace with a Suburban and re-plated the skin and used the modern Suburban vent. I replaced the Bowen water heater with an Atwood and had the original Bowen vent retrofitted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0101.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	92993  
Old 12-25-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
Here is a picture of the furnace and water heater vents on my '63 Tradewind.

I replaced the original International Oil Burner (LP) furnace with a Suburban and re-plated the skin and used the modern Suburban vent. I replaced the Bowen water heater with an Atwood and had the original Bowen vent retrofitted.
Was the retrofit difficult?Hate to lose the furnace retrofit,but Andy at Inland says unsafe.International OB and Bower Hot water heater are on separate sides on the 65.If I can keep the water heater original vent that would help.Thanks for the pic. Most helpful.Steve
Old 01-20-2010, 01:03 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Hi, I really need assistance in replacing my original water heater with a tankless one, does anyone have any step by step photos?? I will be doing this by myself and am terrified I am going to screw things up. I am planning on taking out the bathroom to replace the old sink, ect, as the PO cut out large holes in the counter tops, ect!!!! I also need assistance in taking out my old univolt and replacing it with an intellivolt. My wires to my univolt are fried. Thanks..
Old 01-20-2010, 05:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
RV500 installation

We're happy with the RV500 in our Caravel. Let me add one more caution -- if you turn on the hot water with a low flow, the flow switch in the RV500 won't engage and the heater won't turn on. Not a problem for us, but we did think there was one at first.

Installation wasn't bad, but we had our bath out at the time. The RV500 was smaller than the existing opening -- I don't know what was there before.

See post 37 for a view from the inside and post 48 for a view of the outside in our installation, on this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f145...vel-45046.html

In the latter pic, the clecos are holding the patch in place for a trial fit. We cut the patch from Alclad and fastened it with Olympic rivets. Before putting the heater in, I reinforced between the aluminum panels with 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" framing, held in with a handful of stainless screws.

PM me with your email address if you need a higher-res picture.

John