Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Marianna , Florida
Switch for Atwood Gas/Electric Water Heater

I just replaced my old gas only water heater with the ATwood Gas/Electric, I have been looking for the gas/ electric switch that goes in the bathroom. I have searched several vendors and they have nothing listed.
tr674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The switch came with mine. I think you can order one from Camping World.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Hello, and welcome. I had a similar challenge so I went to my local Ace Hardware (any hardware) and purchased a lighted rocker switch and a matching switch plate to the plates in our coach. The rocker switch was a tad to large for the opening in the switch plate so I filed the opening until the switch slipped in. I epoxied the switch to the plate, cut the appropiate hole in the bathroom cabinet wall and viola! Of course you will need to tap into the wiring on the water heater switch and route it to where ever you want your switch. I recommend a lit switch because in an instant you know if the hot water is on. Of course, any switch will work, toggle, a light switch etc. If you haven't already discovered the Atwood heats almost instantly and will remain hot until you use the water so I find no need to leave the switch on when the water isn't needed.
Neil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	63226  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
FreshAir- was your home brew solution work for the DSI model? If so, I can't figure out how you did it with a simple illuminated rocker switch. Atwoods wiring diagrams (attached) show a separate light for status that is not related to on/ off operation. If you have the DSI model, can you tell me how you wired the 3 wires from your Atwood?

I am assuming that I am going to need a rocker switch and independent luminary if I want to build a switch myself?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf atwood wiring.pdf (53.3 KB, 414 views)
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You might spend all day trying to find an illuminated switch with separate taps for the light. Look for one with four lugs in the back.

I bought a separate panel light and mounted it next to the switch, same as the diagram but not in a common body.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
1000 words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modarch View Post
FreshAir- was your home brew solution work for the DSI model? If so, I can't figure out how you did it with a simple illuminated rocker switch. Atwoods wiring diagrams (attached) show a separate light for status that is not related to on/ off operation. If you have the DSI model, can you tell me how you wired the 3 wires from your Atwood?

I am assuming that I am going to need a rocker switch and independent luminary if I want to build a switch myself?
My gray matter is fuzzy as to just how I moved the WH switch. It must have been simple as I am easily confused with electrical jargon. The Atwood switch is located on the back of the unit. How smart is that because in my case I would have to empty the bathroom wardrobe and pull up it's floor to activate the switch each time. Sooo I 'relocated' (extended) the switch (from Ace Hardware) to to wall outside the wardrobe. The switch on the unit must be left in the 'On' position. I can't say to which model Atwood I have but it is gas or electric (110). I hope these pictures help you.
Neil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New water heater install 6-07 001.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	64126   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7200021.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	64127  

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Marianna , Florida
I found an outlet for the switch(adventurerv.net) with shipping around $15.
the swithch is for all atwood gas/electric models. To tell if you have a gas/electric from the water heater you will have four wires
white-electric
orange-gas
green-ground
blue-warning light

If you have only gas you will only have three.
tr674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Just a heads up for you. I found that the switch for gas doesn't work unless the 110 switch is off. Once the pilot lights, I then turn the 110 on.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
My gray matter is fuzzy as to just how I moved the WH switch. It must have been simple as I am easily confused with electrical jargon. The Atwood switch is located on the back of the unit. How smart is that because in my case I would have to empty the bathroom wardrobe and pull up it's floor to activate the switch each time. Sooo I 'relocated' (extended) the switch (from Ace Hardware) to to wall outside the wardrobe. The switch on the unit must be left in the 'On' position. I can't say to which model Atwood I have but it is gas or electric (110). I hope these pictures help you.
Neil.
Thanks FreshAir. I have an only gas model with DSI, I guess that is what is throwing me off. It is different than your gas/ 110v. The wiring diagram PDF I attached to an earlier post calls for a switch with a side status light. 4 total wire connections. I want to connect the water heater to this DC panel: DC 6 Position - PN 8677 - Blue Sea Systems It has a LED next to the rocker switch and I think I could disconnect it from the rocker and use it as the status light that the DSI model needs to indicate if the pilot was lit sucessfully. Any thoughts if this will work? I emailed BlueSea looking for a rear photo of this model but they don't have any.
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote