Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Suburban Hot Water Heater Smell/Gas Valve

This weekend we were camping with the windows open all weekend and I kept smelling a peculiar smell that hinted of gas but not exactly. Long story short I found the hot water heater when cycled off still had a little flame in the burner tube that I guess was not enough to totally burn the gas? Whatever the situation it reeked.

Does this mean then solenoid valve is bad or is there an adjustment? This heater is 5 years old this summer and has performed perfectly always to now.

Anyone seen this before?
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
This weekend we were camping with the windows open all weekend and I kept smelling a peculiar smell that hinted of gas but not exactly. Long story short I found the hot water heater when cycled off still had a little flame in the burner tube that I guess was not enough to totally burn the gas? Whatever the situation it reeked.

Does this mean then solenoid valve is bad or is there an adjustment? This heater is 5 years old this summer and has performed perfectly always to now.

Anyone seen this before?
Yes, the valve probably has a tiny piece of trash holding it open. Since it's not really serviceable, You'll have to replace it.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
gas valve

Thats what i was guessing, the valve was being held open slightly. The smell was nuts, it was like burning ammonia! Well its still cheaper to install a new solenoid valve than a new heater.

I am going to install a new point of use shut off valve as well I think.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote