Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Shurflow 5.7 with chip sensor

I finished up my plumbing install recently. I did it all back to copper. I figure that will force me to be a more diligent winterizer.

I installed shut off valves at the water heater, a pressure gauge and anti-hammer device as upgrades to the original. I also bought redand blue gate valves to indicate hot and cold under the kitchen and rear bath sinks.

The next step is to buy the water pump. The old one is kinda cute but it reminds me of something the professor might have rigged up.

I have my eye on Surflow but wondered if anyone has any experience with the chip sensor unit rated at 5.7 gpm.

Are the 4-6 GPM units too much flow ? I really just wanted the pressure to be good and flow to be consistent so wanted the higher flow rate. These sensor types boast no need for an accumulator. Do accumulators make that much difference, mine is a 15-16 foot run. They rated water pressure at 65 psi.

Also, are there any other brand pumps with differing volumes besides these that anyone has that they are enamored with . Any suggestions ?

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Jim,
Check to make sure that your wiring is adequate for that pump. If I remember correctly they draw more power than the original. Therefore it is also more drain on your batteries when you are boondocking.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Shurflow 5.7 with chip sensor
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you were trying to hook up a water pump to a Chevrolet engine with a computer chip in it. My first thought was, Wha?...
Anyway, I had a small 3 gpm pump, it was quiet, and put out about 35psi max. Inexpensive, too. Sometimes, more is not better.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Terry, does Chevy have a 5.7 engine, is that why ?

Thanks for the consideration on the wire. I'll check that.

Some of my original pipe was 3/8 and I replaced it all with 1/2 inch stubbing out at the sinks with shut off valves like the ones in most houses. The larger sized pipe replaced perhaps 25 percent of the system which made me wonder if the volume now would decrease the pressure available at the faucets. Maybe I am thinking too hard, one thing restoration is teaching me not to do, but its a process....

So perhaps bigger is not better in this case. I will stay in cadence with the wire size and go to the limit with that variable respected. It will have to do.

Thanks for the pointers !

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:10 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJames
Terry, does Chevy have a 5.7 engine, is that why ?

Thanks for the pointers !
Yes, and aftermarket performance chips are available for the computers that control them. I find some interesting things here on the forum, I thought you had found a way to bypass the mechanical water pump on your engine...
Old 11-25-2005, 06:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Cheboygan , Michigan
Presure is a measurement of "Resistance to flow", therefore, you'll have less pressure (Because of bigger pipes giving less resistance), but you'll have the same or maybe more water coming out!
lundfog is offline   Reply With Quote