Old 10-07-2005, 05:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Shurflo water pump

Will not prime or something. I ran out of water and the pump ran for a few hours. Now I refilled and it doesn't build enough pressure to shut-off. Do I need to bleed something besides my wallet?

Old 10-07-2005, 06:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanextreme
Will not prime or something. I ran out of water and the pump ran for a few hours. Now I refilled and it doesn't build enough pressure to shut-off. Do I need to bleed something besides my wallet?
I did the same thing, I loosened the inlet clamp to bleed the air to assist in priming. Worth a try, worked for me.

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
This may sound stupid (of me), but I had the same problem and went around the trailer to find water running out the back. I left a drain open.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:18 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
This may sound stupid (of me), but I had the same problem and went around the trailer to find water running out the back. I left a drain open.
That was the first thing I did. no water anywhere, it's just not building up pressure.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

This can be caused by an air leak between the tank and the pump. One way to see if the pump is OK is to detach the pipe from the pump back to the tank. Then attach a short length of hose to the pump inlet, and put the other end in a bucket of water. Open a faucet, and if the pump runs, and water emerges from the faucet, you have an air leak in a pipe or union. If the pump doesn't draw water, then you have a pump problem, and a repair kit or replacement pump will be necessary. Good luck.
Nick.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:53 AM   #6
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
SHURFLO says that the pump can run dry. The only thing the pump can’t do is pump debris. I am assuming that you had an inlet filter of some sort? If not it is possible that you sucked up some debris when the water level got low and damaged the diaphragm.
They do have kits to replace the diaphragm and whatever...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I have done the bucket trick and it works,
Old 10-08-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
check your inline strainer for air leaks.

bubbles in the dome are a clue, bubbles = air getting into the suction side of the pump causing it to lose it's prime.

there is a thin o ring under the dome, easy replacement at a well stocked hardware store.

as pointed out above, cleaning out the screen is a good idea while you have it open.

john
Old 10-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

If the filter is not leaking air, then it could be a leak at the pipe unions to the tank and filter, or a split in the pipe. Look for wetness along the pipe and at the unions. One final thing which caught me out once is the breather plug under the flap for the water filler. Lift up the flap and make sure that the small plastic plug (to keep out dirt and critturs when the trailer is stored) is removed. If the plug is left in, the pump will not suck water out of the tank. Good luck.
Nick.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

I appreciate all the help but found that the problem was due to my stupidity. I left the tank fill valve open enough to suck air or return the water to the tank(no water on ground), whatever was happening, closing the valve solved it.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #11
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
One final thing which caught me out once is the breather plug under the flap for the water filler. Lift up the flap and make sure that the small plastic plug (to keep out dirt and critturs when the trailer is stored) is removed. If the plug is left in, the pump will not suck water out of the tank. Good luck.
Nick.
Hmm, I was under impression that this plug was to allow the tank to breathe while filling the tank. The "Plug" is to be replaced upon completion of filling.
The tank is not under pressure when drawing water from the tank. The tank does not have to be airtight to provide water to the pump. The pump is operated by impellar not pressure.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
Hmm, I was under impression that this plug was to allow the tank to breathe while filling the tank. The "Plug" is to be replaced upon completion of filling.
The tank is not under pressure when drawing water from the tank. The tank does not have to be airtight to provide water to the pump. The pump is operated by impellar not pressure.
Ken, I don't understand why the plug is to be replaced when filling is completed. I was under the impression that in order to pump water from a tank, air or water must be allowed to enter the tank to replace the water. By removing the plug, the breather is allowed to vent the tank so that water may be pumped out when the trailer is relying on its own fresh water tank and pump, rather than being connected to city water. The breather also acts to vent air out when the tank is being filled. Removal of the plug ensures that the tank is not airtight, so that the pump is not fighting a vacuum. Is this correct?
Nick
Old 10-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

My RV has a vent, other than the cap. After I filled the tank I have to manually close the fill valve. and if I keep running the water after it is full, it shoots out of the vent on the tank.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I rebuilded this

For future references:
Let me see if I can post a link to the picture of it.
You'll need a Adobe Reader.. to handle the file.
BTW, it works perfectly and, now I have a spare unit..
ciao
53FC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 200 Series.pdf (157.8 KB, 129 views)

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote