Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Spokane , Washington
ShurFlo Electrical Hookup

My 20' Safari is only 5 or 6 trips old but like many others I am not happy with the water pump noise. After searching the threads I have decided to replace the ShurFlo classic pump with the Extreme sensor model rather than add more stuff [accumulator] to the system.
I have a basic question for anyone who did the install: for the electrical hook-up is it just as simple as connecting the existing hot [red] lead and ground [black] leads to the back of the new pump?
On the install diagram for the Extreme Sensor pump there is an optional diagram for wiring a relay hook up if you have a 7 amp controller.
I believe that the existing pump is all 15 amp but I am not sure how to tell for certain.
Any advice and / or guidance would be most appreciated.
dfratini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I haven't done this conversion, hopefully someone will chime in who has, but if the original is 12V and the replacement is 12V, then it should be just as you say, disconnect the red and black wires from the original, yank it, put in the new one, and reconnect red and black wires.

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Spokane , Washington
installation

After waiting and not hearing from anyone who had actually done the install, I decided to bit the bullet and plunge in.
I bought the ShurFlo Extreme 4.0 from AmericanVYcompany [eBay power seller] for $139 and the Shurflo silencing flexible hose kit for $19.
The Extreme pump had exactly the same foot spacing as the existing standard Shurflo pump so no additional floor drilling was required, although you will need longer screws due to rubber foot height.
The electrical connection took 5 minutes at most. Red lead from pump to the orange power lead and black ground form pump to the white ground lead.
I did cut back on the hard existing water piping so that the flexible hoses would lie nicely between the pump and the bulkhead between the oven and the sink area.
Even though the new pump is taller everything cleared the bottom of the storage drawer under the stove.
All in all from start to finish the entire process took about 30 to 40 min.
The difference in noise level is astounding; this really should be the airstream standard pump s the original "jackhammer" sound was not in keeping with the Airstream image or my expectations as a first time owner. If not standard it should be one of the first things that every dealer recommends.
dfratini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
Cangratulations !
I have the same model airstream except it is 2007. I am planning to buy a ShurFlow extreme pump based on your experience. I was going to buy a spare pump any way. The old pump will be kept as a spare. Did you also replaced the strainer?
Also the pump specs. for this pump is 15 amp circuit. I do not know what is the current pump circuit rating is. What does the silencing kit is for or it is just a long
tubing to dampen the pursation.
Will appreciate your reponse
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote