Old 04-11-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
ShurFlo Accumulator?!?

Hello all -

Nosing around in the nooks and crannies now that Spring has decided to spring forth. Found a ShurFlo Accumulator under the galley sink in my 92 Classic Limited. What does this "Accumulate"???? Looks like a relief? valve on top of it. Can get model number if there are variations!

Thanks for any info!

Ciao

Axel

Old 04-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Read on me laddie, and ye shall be enlightened!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Read on me laddie, and ye shall be enlightened!
Opps... 404 Error
Click here to continue...
The path to enlightenment begins with a 404 error...
Old 04-11-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Opps... 404 Error
Click here to continue...
The path to enlightenment begins with a 404 error...
OK, now that's just WRONG. This is the same error that rears its nasty little head when I try to do other things - like trying to look at my photos from within my profile. GRRRR!

OK, here is the SAME URL without the text added.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=water+hammer

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:09 AM   #5
Aluminum Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Dumb Question

I too have an accumulator on my water pump. I noticed that it has what looks like an air nozzle at the end of the tank. Am I supposed to add air to it, if so how much?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:26 AM   #6
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Having not seen your accumulator - I am betting that the pressure fitting on the top is for air or better yet, nitrogen. This would be used to pressurize a bladder inside the tank. You should never have to touch that.

Those of us on wells for our house water supply call that a pressure tank. Actually I think an accumulator is a great idea because it saves your pump from excessive starts and stops and delivers a smooth water supply.

The water pump pumps water into the pressure tank and this squeezes the bladder inside the tank. As water is used in the system the bladder expands, maintaining pressure on the system without the pump running. The pump only needs to start and stop to pump up the tank and that would lower the start & stops which is better for the motor.

K&T

Oh, One more thing. The pressure of the bladder shouldn't have to be changed but should be between 20 and 40 pounds per square inch depending on your water systems pressure. On our well system our bladder is pressurized to 25 p.s.i. and our minimum water pressure, or the point the water pump kicks on, is at 42 p.s.i.
Unless you are having some kind of problem - like the pump cycling on and off even on low water usage - I wouldn't mess with the pressure on the tank.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Hello all -

Nosing around in the nooks and crannies now that Spring has decided to spring forth. Found a ShurFlo Accumulator under the galley sink in my 92 Classic Limited. What does this "Accumulate"???? Looks like a relief? valve on top of it. Can get model number if there are variations!

Thanks for any info!

Ciao

Axel
Axel,

The accumulator in the plumbing system accumulates water pressure. It's a container with two chambers separated by a bladder. One side of the bladder is pressurized with a pre-charge of compressed air. (Mine says 20 psi.) The other side of the bladder is open to the water system plumbing.

When you open a tap, water initially flows from the accumulator until the pressure drops enough for the pump to turn on. As the pump runs it will then provide the flow required by the open tap. When you close the tap, the water hammer (pressure wave) will be partially absorbed by the volume of compressed air in the accumulator. After the tap is closed, the pump will continue to run until the accumulator is pressurized to the shut-off pressure setting on the pump. This will provide some volume of water in the accumulator for the next use.

One of the advantages of the accumulator is to prevent the pump from running every time a tiny volume of water is taken from the system. When the pump does turn on, it will run enough to pressurize the accumulator.

To pre-charge your accumulator, first turn off the water pump, and any pressurized hose supplying water. Then open a tap and allow all water pressure to be relieved. After the water has stopped flowing, check the pressure at the accumulator's Schrader (tire) valve. It should be adjusted to the value specified for your trailer (20 psi on mine).

Accumulators are pretty reliable devices and rarely need attention.

Loren