Old 02-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #1
2014 23' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
Question Shurflo 4048 Water Pump Air Leak

This is my first post to the forum however I have been reading it daily for several months now.

My wife and I purchased a used 2014 Airstream International Serenity in Nov. 2015. The dealer (Airstream certified) performed many maintenance items along with several items we wanted completed to be sure the unit was ready to be stored for the winter. It is in, what seems to be, excellent condition.

I have recently started to get the unit ready for traveling and camping. Not having city water or electricity available at our storage facility I decided to check the plumbing system using air pressure rather than water. I have checked all the plumbing connections and fittings using 60PSI air pressure applied via the city water connection. All connections and fittings have zero leaks. However upon checking the Shurflo pump I can hear a low level air leak around the pump housing which bleeds air pressure at a rate of 4-PSI in 15 minutes. This pressure loss will continue till it reaches about 30-PSI and then stabilizes with no further loss of air pressure.

I am questioning the validity of the pressure leak of the water pump considering understanding the issue regarding airtight vs watertight.

So my question is: will the pump seal itself against leaking when water pressure is applied vs air pressure or are we looking at a new pump install?

Thanks for any input.
WBCCI #13672
2014 23FB International
2016 Chevy Tahoe

DORA-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #2
2014 23' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
Lightbulb Answered My Own Question

Answered my own question after spending time researching the pumps operation via the Shurflo web site. Seems the sound of air I hear is air being bypassed from the pumps outlet back to the pumps inlet. Under normal operational pressure (30 PSI) the pump operates normally (that's why I didn't see any further pressure drop or hear the sound of air movement at that pressure). As pressure increased above 30 PSI the sound of air movement increased. All's well I think.
DORA-1 is offline   Reply With Quote