Old 07-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Went to the trailer yesterday, and found to trouble with little water flow. The filter was packed up. Removed it, and cleaned it. Great flow now.

What was a little more difficult was changing the cartridge in the Moen shower valve. The retainer clip would not come out, or the cartridge itself. In the heat of the trailer in a confined space ie. the shower and head I nearly had a heat stroke. I was completely soaked with sweat. Finally getting the whole valve assembly I headed for the wholesale plumbing supply we do some business with just up the road. They destroyed the clip getting it out, and 3 brutes pulling on it could not get it out. Finally we got a pulling tool. It worked with much coaxing. Part of the cartridge was broken off.

The problem was hardwater and probably well water with mineral deposits. That valve cartridge was really stuck.

Well. there was good news and bad news. They had the replacement cartridge but no retaining clip. So off to Lowes to see if I could find one there. Finally I found a bubble pack repair kit that had one. Of course I had to buy the whole kit. Then back to the trailerto reinstall the shower valve.

The water flowed, and cut off. No dripping. It doesn't take much to make me happy.

TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
How are you doing? Hopefully all fixed and on the road again!

Happy Trails,

Peter
Thank you everyone for the advice! I tried all the above recommendations, plus a few others, and unfortunately the pump seems to be completely kaput. It hasn't really been an issue so far because we've been staying at campgrounds with full-hookups, but whenever we stop along the side of the road for a pit stop it's been a minor annoyance.

A replacement pump is in order when we get back to home base.

Thanks everyone for the advice! It's great to have such strong community support.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the update.

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 08-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Turns out my pump was NOT defective after all. I had my more mechanically inclined brother come over to install the new pump I ordered and he determined that the old one was just fine, there was just a big air bubble in the line, presumably from when I emptied the tank. Cleared the air bubble and viola! It worked! For anyone else having a similar issue, check for air bubbles, especially if you recently ran your water tank dry.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekerboy View Post
Turns out my pump was NOT defective after all. I had my more mechanically inclined brother come over to install the new pump I ordered and he determined that the old one was just fine, there was just a big air bubble in the line, presumably from when I emptied the tank. Cleared the air bubble and viola! It worked! For anyone else having a similar issue, check for air bubbles, especially if you recently ran your water tank dry.
Glad it wasn't something more serious. But I am curious how you cleared the "big air bubble"?
Old 08-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Glad it wasn't something more serious.

I'm afraid it was something more serious: turns out I'm not as smart as I thought I was (something my wife has suspected for years). Haha

I cleared the air bubble by filling the tank all the way up, shutting off the shore water connection, then letting the pump cycle a couple times. I suppose alternatively I could have poured some water down the intake pipe leading to the pump from the tank...