Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msherw View Post
I have heard the 12dc regulators in trailers can and often do put upwards of 13.8-14.4 VDC into the rigs. The Atwood board is sensitive and they want 13.x and no more. So a Dino board with built in voltage regulation circuitry could not hurt.
If they are that sensitive then they failed to design this to work in their target environment, it is universally common for DC charging systems to go up to 14.5V...and with Lithium that can easily be ~14.6V. In fact automotive alternators output up to 14.5V, which means every RV could have voltage within that range.

It definitely isn't confidence inspiring to hear that from the manufacturer, and has nothing to do with where something in made. There is nothing about manufacturing in China that inherently makes things "bad", if the design is bad to start with there is no way it can be manufactured correctly. I know American's like to pretend we have some upper hand, and perhaps we did a decade ago...everyone used to say the same thing about every Japanese made car, and look where brand loyalty and reliability standards sit today
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
My email to the dealer, Airstream and others:

Please cancel my 5/11/2018 service appointment.

As a side note, Vogt RV Service Department making a new Airstream owner wait 2 months for a service appointment is unconscionable. Are there really that many ‘broken’ AS ahead of me that I was forced to wait so long?

We had no hot water on our last two trips out (wife not a happy camper). As you know, we have a 6-month old, 2018 Airstream (purchased from Vogt 10/2017) that has a totally useless water heater - the OEM board failed back in January 2018. At the very least, Airstream should have installed a 110vac-LP water heater in our “Dream Airstream” so we could enjoy our trips. Poor decision. Poor customer service. Nightmare trips. Bad aftertaste.

I sought and found an alternate solution. However it cost me $200+ and untold trouble. I was glad to pay it to end the aggravation we had been forced to endure on 3 of our last 4 camping trips. Sure, Vogt Service Department would have changed out yet another board during the May visit, but failure would have likely happened AGAIN while on the road.

Here is the rest of the story:

Atwood did send me two (2) additional water heater striker/sensor boards - one was installed by a mobile service guy who performed a lot of required electrical checks, and the 4th and final board was shipped directly to me at our campground in Big Bend NP. Both recent boards failed eventually. Total of 4 boards have been installed in this 2018 22FB Sport including the OEM factory installed one. None lasted more than a few weeks. No one seemed to understand the problem or really care beyond sending weak or faulty replacement parts. (Also, while I was on the phone with Atwood customer support, I was advised that engineering was aware that -8E spark boards had a higher than normal failure rate. I’m sure I was not suppose to hear that comment.)

The Airstream mystique and pizzaz is gone for us. As long as Airstream continues to install questionable quality, 3rd party products with control boards made in China, the failure rate will be a major blow-back issue. My wife’s dream of us buying a new Flying Cloud in 2020 is all but gone.

'Once-proud' Airstream owner
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
My email to the dealer and Airstream:

As a side note, Vogt RV Service Department making a new Airstream owner wait 2 months for a service appointment is unconscionable. Are there really that many ‘broken’ AS ahead of me that I was forced to wait so long?

We had no hot water on our last two trips out (wife not a happy camper). As you know, we have a 6-month old, 2018 Airstream (purchased from Vogt 10/2017) that has a totally useless water heater - the OEM board failed back in January 2018. At the very least, Airstream should have installed a 110vac-LP water heater in our “Dream Airstream” so we could enjoy our trips. Poor decision. Poor customer service. Nightmare trips. Bad aftertaste.

I sought and found an alternate solution. However it cost me $200+ and untold trouble. I was glad to pay it to end the aggravation we had been forced to endure on 3 of our last 4 camping trips. Sure, Vogt Service Department would have changed out yet another board during the May visit, but failure would have likely happened AGAIN while on the road.

Atwood did send me two (2) additional water heater striker/sensor boards - one was installed by a mobile service guy who performed a lot of required electrical checks, and the 4th and final board was shipped directly to me at our campground in Big Bend NP. Both recent boards failed eventually. Total of 4 boards have been installed in this 2018 22FB Sport including the OEM factory installed one. None lasted more than a few weeks. No one seemed to understand the problem or really care beyond sending weak or faulty replacement parts. (Also, while I was on the phone with Atwood customer support, I was advised that engineering was aware that -8E spark boards had a higher than normal failure rate. I’m sure I was not suppose to hear that comment.)

The Airstream mystique and pizzaz is gone for us. As long as Airstream continues to install questionable quality, 3rd party products with control boards made in China, the failure rate will be a major blow-back issue. My wife’s dream of us buying a new Flying Cloud in 2020 is all but gone.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #44
Snow Chasing Dog Wrangler

2018 16' Sport
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
My email to the dealer and Airstream:

Msherw: Sorry to hear about this frustrating problem. I don't have any constructive input at this point, as I am a fairly new Airstream owner.
The main reason I am following this thread is because my heater board failed as well, in a brand new (2018) 16' Bambi.
It fired up once on the first night during our three week long trip in March, and then never again. AS dealer replaced under warranty, so we will see how long this one lasts. I'm not too optimistic.

Don't get me wrong, I am still looking forward to the next trip, but I suppose my expectations are more realistic now.

Other things that were fixed / replaced under warranty were the propane regulator, and the fresh water tank sensor.
What still pisses me off to this day though is the terrible craftsmanship in the bathroom. It's like they tied a caulk tube to to the back of a racoon. If I did work this bad, I would go hungry.

Curious to see what other products are out there, this thread has definitely been helpful in that regard.
AirstreamAbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:41 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Wow. I just talked my wife into buying one of these 22' FB Sports, joined this forum, and have now found out that it really needs a 3" lift, and it is questionable that I will have hot water and heat via LP!
We really don't plan on towing it around much as it is for our lake property, but it will be 400 miles away from any AS dealer most of the time.

I am just starting to call around to dealers in the midwest, as our dealer in the Minneapolis area does not have one in stock. Is this an issue I should deal with during the sales process, maybe have them throw in some spares LOL?
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Follow up to my water heater board:

Dinosaur replacement board has worked now over 3 weeks and hundreds of cycles. Appears it is going to fix the problem.

My letter to the AS dealership was also shared with AS marketing and customer relations in Jackson Center. AS has written me back and offered to pay for the shipping of the defective boards to them for their engineering group to test and share results with Atwood. Additionally they offered to reimburse me for the replacement of the non-Atwood board and for my incidental expenses.

For those of you who have read the posts about various Airstream issues, know this: Airstream is a company that cares. Bottom line - if you have issues, take the time to let them know especially if it is a persistent problem. There are many places to buy travel trailers and many manufacturers but I’m convinced there is no better manufacturer than Airstream.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
This may be old news, the dealers I have been speaking to that are out of stock of the 22fb are saying the wait until mid-July for a 2019 will be worth it as the warranty has been upped to 3 years parts and labor.

Anyone heard of any improvements to the 2019 (Dinosaur igniter boards lol?)
Old 05-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenawbee View Post
This may be old news, the dealers I have been speaking to that are out of stock of the 22fb are saying the wait until mid-July for a 2019 will be worth it as the warranty has been upped to 3 years parts and labor.

Anyone heard of any improvements to the 2019 (Dinosaur igniter boards lol?)
Having a 2018 22FB I haven’t spent any time exploring the 2019. However we are on our 5th trip with the Dino board in full play. 4 hot showers now and a month static testing and I’m very happy to say it APPEARS to be fixed. And if AS sends me reimbursement I’ll be even happier. AS was interested in getting the old Atwood boards back to test and discuss the issues with Dometic.

Kudos to the forum for pointing me in the Dinosaur board direction. Good luck with your new 22FB. Let us know how she works out.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Having a 2018 22FB I haven’t spent any time exploring the 2019. However we are on our 5th trip with the Dino board in full play. 4 hot showers now and a month static testing and I’m very happy to say it APPEARS to be fixed. And if AS sends me reimbursement I’ll be even happier. AS was interested in getting the old Atwood boards back to test and discuss the issues with Dometic.

Kudos to the forum for pointing me in the Dinosaur board direction. Good luck with your new 22FB. Let us know how she works out.
Very glad to hear there is a solution. I had my local dealer tell me he'd never heard of such a thing, and to ignore the forums. Ignore the forums.......right! Another dealer is baiting people with false in-stock listings for the 22fb ("oh, we just sold that one", giving great prices over the phone (2019's) then boosting them $2500 on the hard quotes. It remains listed there today.

Glad I found one. I will bring the igniter board issue up with them before I take delivery and make sure I have hot water before I drive away with it.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Very glad to hear there is a solution. I had my local dealer tell me he'd never heard of such a thing, and to ignore the forums. Ignore the forums.......right! Another dealer is baiting people with false in-stock listings for the 22fb ("oh, we just sold that one", giving great prices over the phone (2019's) then boosting them $2500 on the hard quotes. It remains listed there today.

Glad I found one. I will bring the igniter board issue up with them before I take delivery and make sure I have hot water before I drive away with it.
Funny you mention ignoring the forums. On sale day I ask to meet the service manager who admitted his worst issues are when a customer mentions “I read on the Airforum...”. He said all customers come down with the same disease once they read it here. Yeah. Right. I doubt they will admit a WH problem. I chastised AS for not installing an AC/LP WH. Poor judgement on their part.

Good luck. You will like the 22.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:05 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Back igniter board symptoms

When I pick up my new trailer is there a sure fire (pardon the pun) method to determine the igniter failure other than waiting to test for hot water at the sink? In other words does the button in the bathroom that controls the on/off water heater function indicate the miss-fire like it indicates the absence of LP gas? I don't want to hang around there all day but I want to test all the systems before I drive off the lot.

With my current trailer it is rather obvious (I can hear it and see it by lifting the exterior access hatch, and I have to manually light the pilot).
Old 05-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
crappy dometic HW heater

we had a 2nd total failure on our AS22Fb dometic HW heater model G6A-8e

it is the 2nd bad circuit board

what a crappy design !!!

I wanted to through out the unit into the garbage

i spoke top Andy at CANM RV in London.
we told me to keep it for now

I asked him about the tankless units . he state that they are even more complicated and that when a part goes, they are IMPOSSIBLE to replace regardless of vendor

thus i am waiting for the poor response back from demotic to get my money back for a second bad circuit board

are there any better tank or tankless units to consider
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
When I pick up my new trailer is there a sure fire (pardon the pun) method to determine the igniter failure other than waiting to test for hot water at the sink? In other words does the button in the bathroom that controls the on/off water heater function indicate the miss-fire like it indicates the absence of LP gas? I don't want to hang around there all day but I want to test all the systems before I drive off the lot.

With my current trailer it is rather obvious (I can hear it and see it by lifting the exterior access hatch, and I have to manually light the pilot).
If you open the outside metal door WH door, check the serial number. If it has an -8E in the last few serial number then know it is likely going to fail and the replacement will likely fail, ad nausium.

Tell them you want a Dino board. $125 allowance should cover it. Then go order it and store the Atwood -8E board for a backup you will,likely never need but will have to have it if you ever take your AS in for dealer warranty adjustment.

The red light in the bathroom takes a 20 seconds delay with a Dinosaur board. It strikes multiple times. The OEM board will try to light immediately if it is still working and after 3 tries it stops. They always replace it with -8E if it does fail. So I would never leave home without a Dino board installed.

I know to some reading this thread, it seems an overblown issue. However, I don’t like using campground showers and my wife doesn’t either. After paying as much as we did for the AS, I expect it to perform near flawlessly as possible. But at the end of a long day, I better have hot water to take shower in MY own trailer. When you got it —- you take it for granted.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:37 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
we had a 2nd total failure on our AS22Fb dometic HW heater model G6A-8e

it is the 2nd bad circuit board

what a crappy design !!!

I wanted to through out the unit into the garbage

i spoke top Andy at CANM RV in London.
we told me to keep it for now

I asked him about the tankless units . he state that they are even more complicated and that when a part goes, they are IMPOSSIBLE to replace regardless of vendor

thus i am waiting for the poor response back from demotic to get my money back for a second bad circuit board

are there any better tank or tankless units to consider
At least all four of mine failed under warranty. Dino board is the ONLY way to go.
Dino has a new board that has a universal connector. Also has an instant light button on it in case the switch in the bathroom fails. It is a little more expensive.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i ordered the Dinasour UIB-64 board off amazons for $130
i spoke to them.

http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/UIB-64.html

they know the issue with the dometic board.
the dometic bard is single side and the relay movement cracks the poor & thin solder joint. This renderes the potted board useless.

The dinosaur board is double sided, the relay pins are soldered on both sides and through the hole. thus little of no mechanical movement

i agree with @Msherw, don't leave home with the UIB-64, and keep the dometic board as a spare
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater board.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	311729  
Old 05-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
side view showing compatible mounting plate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uib-64 with mountling plate.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	311737  
Old 06-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Just chiming in here. I am zero for one (first try). Going right to the Dinosaur. Who needs the stress & frustration.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
yes the Dragon board is the right working soln. it does take 20 extra seconds, that's a fine trade-off from NOT working

when powered on the green LEd comes on,
when the burner is running the green goes off and the red goes on
Old 06-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Success!

Got my Dinosaur board from RVPARTSPRO in MI on eBay for $108 fast free UPS shipping. The quick fire jumper remains on the board and the MODE SWITCH JUMPER GOES ON POSITION TWO, despite what the instructions tell you.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
yes the Dragon board is the right working soln. it does take 20 extra seconds
I really don’t understand the 20 second thing, ours fired immediately, so I am curious when your delay occurs.

How do you adjust cut off temperature? My old one had a visible slider (& pilot light)