Old 10-06-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
Replacing Water Heater

I've got a '71 Overlander and need to replace the water heater. The band around the trailer is riveted and covers the bottom 8-10 screws that hold in the water heater. Do I need to remove the rivets from the back to the front to expose the screws or should I just cut the strip in two places either side of the wh and replace once repair is completed.

Ag'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
That band is the rub rail. Personally, I would remove the rivets on the rub rail from the closest end to as far back as I needed to go to expose the water heater screws instead of cutting the rail. But, either method will work ok. Just depends on if you want to keep the rub rail in one piece or not. The aluminum rivets that hold it on are pretty easy to drill out and then replace.

As I think about it more, it might be worthwhile removing the entire rub rail all the way around the back of the trailer, so you can check the sealing on the rear banana wraps and over the bumper and add vulkum as needed. That's assuming that your water heater is located behind the axels like it is on my 72 Sovereign.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
Yea, thanks for the input. I think I will remove the rub rail as my water heater is behind the wheels. I will also seal the banana wrap. I've got a leak on the curb side in my trunk, probably due to the tail light or banana wrap leak. I'm just starting on the restore job, so I'll add that to my list!
Ag'71 is offline   Reply With Quote