Old 01-31-2005, 05:14 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Replacing the water filter

I was just up at the dealership Friday, picking up the Classic after some warranty work done. I knew I wanted something else but forgot. Upon arriving home (after an 80 mile round trip) I realized I forgot to buy a new water filter cartridge for the Moen kitchen faucet.

Now I know the faucet keeps track of water flow (I think) to alert you when its time for a water filter change. Most of us pull the filter to winterize (if you pump antifreeze). Now I know if I put the old filter back in it resets the water flow counter so any change indicator is now inaccurate.

I used the trailer for about 30 days last season so the question begs, is there a health related reason to replace this filter at this point or should it be good for another season?

Quite honestly I can probably order one by mail if necessary, but on the other hand I'm just wondering if I'm throwing something away which has some good life in it (based on 30 days of use)?

Any thoughts?

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Kirkwood , Missouri
You may have to order that a via plumbing supply house or plumber. I changed mine last year but found it was a non stock item. Most supply houses had a different Moen filter then used in Airstreams. The main reason I would change it even though it has not been used, mold if you do not blow the water out by either removing it or putting it in filter mode while blowing air threw the system, it is full of water.

airstreamer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #3

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamer01
You may have to order that a via plumbing supply house or plumber. I changed mine last year but found it was a non stock item. Most supply houses had a different Moen filter then used in Airstreams. The main reason I would change it even though it has not been used, mold if you do not blow the water out by either removing it or putting it in filter mode while blowing air threw the system, it is full of water.
Jeff,
My filter was removed after I blew out the lines so it should be dry.

BTW, I did some research, the filter is a Moen Microtech 600 model. It's designed to fit Moen PureTouch faucets and from Moen's web page, looks to be a filter used for many of their products. It lists on Moen's site for $21.95, Internet searches bring it down to about $16.00 not including shipping. I might try some local Moen outlets in town and see if they carry this filter.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll probably replace it for peace of mind.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
Old 02-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think we have the same filter, and frankly, given the low amount of use, I simply removed the filter and let it dry. I plan on using the filter again in the spring.

In our area, the water has some clorine in it, so anything that *might* be left behind will surely be passed through the filter when I flush the system in the spring.

I wouldn't really worry about the filter that much at this point given the level of use...... I would think that every other season this would be a list item for replacement, but every season, I would think overkill IMHO.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Jack,
With a price that cheap, it is worth it to change the filter for peace of mind. After removal, you have a damp sponge just sitting on the shelf growing all kinds of interesting microbes. Or, you could run some pure bleach thru it before use to sterilize.
$16 is cheap insurance.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I guess what I was getting at was simply that a filter that gets wet and sits in a humid/hot RV faucet for 30 days before it gets used again could also produce the same microbes that are being suggested. Given the fact that the filter got used so little it kind of seems like a waste of $16+shipping to replace a filter every year, compared to every other year. If I were to use the logic suggested, I would replace the filter after every trip? I think a good flushing out of the filter (that was used so little and dried out) would produce the same effect as getting a new one.

I've used water filters for several years and not one time have we been sick by reusing a filter. I would think this filter would act similarly, but if you feel Jack that $16+ will give you piece of mind, go for it, I personally don't think it's necc to replace every year with such low use.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 02-02-2005, 07:26 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Silvertwinkie,
The big difference between the two situations is the presence of air. The filter which is still attached to the plumbing is full of water, preventing black mold from growing. The hard part of your procedure is the drying out. One would need a source of warm low humidity clean air or nitrogen flowing thru the filter to get the moisture out. It's your choice.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:38 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When I have taken a leave of our coach for even a few weeks, the filter area has no water in it, but the filter itself is damp and humid, particularly in the hot summer months when the coach sits after use.

I'm not sure you have the same moen faucet we're talking about. If the water is drained from the line, or left to sit after use, air can in fact get inside the filter area by gravity and blow by (as water makes it's way back to the tank). The water that once sat in the filter area finds it's way back to the tank and I would assume it's even easier for this to happen as the coach is placed into transit. Granted not a lot of air, but enough I'm sure since the water is no longer present, just a damp filter.....nothing a good flushing with clorinated water won't solve though. The only way to keep the filter surrounded in water would be to keep the pump on and/or have city water connected. Other than that, the filter area and the lines will eventually loose the water they hold. But your totally right...it's a choice, but opinions were asked and this was my take on it.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:43 AM   #9

Fenton , Missouri
With the society the way it is today, I would think that the legal eagles at Moen would consider the risks involved with a wet filter sitting in an unused trailer for weeks on end. My thoughts are probably that the filter has some anti bacterial properties that may keep things from contaminating it.

As for chlorination, I would think that a lot of campgrounds are using local well water so I wouldn't count on that to keep the bugs out.....as a matter of fact that's a big reason why a lot of us use filters.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 02-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I wouldn't count on that either, but when I de-winterize the coach, it's hooked to our house water which does have clorine.

As for Moen building this for RVs specifically, not sure. I know Atwood does lots of mobile gear, but who knows, any off the shelf facuet will fit that area, might just have been a factory decsion to use Moen (price or whatever reason). Point being, I'm not sure the faucet w/filter was designed specifically for RV or mobile applications. There are a number of home improvement stores that carry similar items like this faucet.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
The filter is not RV specific since it fits many of their faucets in their standard product line.

Jack

AIR #56