Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
replacing filter system

Hi all,

Finally planning a trip and need to de-winterize the Silver Olive. Unfortunately, during winterizing ops, I pulled apart my Everpure #150 U-FIL Canister. Yeah, that was fun - black carbon sludge all over the place. Seems replacement cartridges are no longer manufactured and the two that I've found for sale are via Ebay and/or quite pricey. So, wondering if I should just update my filter system to a new one.... Any advice on an easy to install and readily available canister system?

Laura

Old 07-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I am not near the Airstream at the moment, but as I remember our '97 uses and Everpure and I get the refills at Camping World. The one near me usually only has the larger size canister, but their catalog shows a half height unit as well which is more cost effective (cheaper).

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You can get an external filter system that attaches to the water hose. The filters themselves are available lots of places and run around $11 for two. The ones I get are activated charcoal and should last a season. Our trailer came with an undersink Moen filter and they are pricey.

Gene
Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Moen Drinking Water Filter System

Our 2007 23' Safari SE came from the factory with the Moen Drinking Water Filter System under the Galley Sink.

It came with the Moen ChoiceFlo 9600 filter cartridge.

I recently replaced ours with the Moen 9601 ChoiceFlo, 9600 replacement filter from Amazon.com for $25.99.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0155 Moen filter & connections.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	162483   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0149 Moen filter & bracket.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	162484  

Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think the reason the Moen OEM system costs so much is you are buying part of the housing plus the internal filter and a battery that is supposed to power a light on the faucet to tell you to change the filter. Add in the premium on all RV stuff too.

With an external filter, you buy the housing once and replace the filter periodically. You should get the ones with hose connections for RV use.

But you could get a housing for use in houses and install it under the sink. You may have to buy some adapters for the pipes. Then you could use the filters at around $6 each. We change the external filter once a year unless it clogs up sooner—it hasn't. I have problems with the RV external filter leaking at the hose connections, but a house filter plumbed in the undersink pipes if done right shouldn't leak. Opening the housing may require a really big wrench, but our house filter came with one.

So, because I am married to a microbiologist who insists on filtering a lot, we have both. I change the Moen filter as infrequently as I am allowed. Sink water is double filtered. Then Barb buys distilled water to bring with us. I don't understand that.

The prime worries about campground water are giardia and silt. Silt can hide and carry bacteria. Any activated charcoal filter should solve both problems and if you really worry, boil it too, then buy distilled water and boil that, and go drink a beer. In most of Canada and the US, you will not have to worry about drinking water—but sometimes you do. We know people who discovered CG water came from a hose in a creek; later they got giardia. They did not have a filter (one is a doctor) and this was either in northern Canada or Alaska. Well and spring water can be silty in the spring during runoff—we saw that a lot of times in motels in Newfoundland years ago. Same thing happened to our own well in another place we lived in Colorado. We didn't get sick. We had salty water from a well near the ocean in Nova Scotia—that is worse than silt because oil and worse is in water in harbors and ocean water was in the fresh water aquifer. So, you can run into anything, and some sort of filter is a good idea.

Gene
Old 07-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here's one for 24.95 with free shipping.....

Everpure #150 U-fil Water Filter Cartridge for Airstream/Avion Trailers | eBay
Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Thanks guys. After re-calling Inland, they DO have the filter I need. Premium price but since I'm in a pinch (as usual) I'll have them send it with new grease bearings. I'll put the new filter system on *next season's* list of to-do's.

Laura