Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Indiana
replacement hot water tank for '76 Sovereign?

We have a leak in our 1976 Sovereign (center bath) and I am not sure where to find a replacement water heater tank and what part #. Any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I just went through this. You need to look at what's available and the figure out what's in your Airstream now. It will probably be easier to replace with the same model. Atwood and Suburban make gas fired water heaters for RVs today. Both have 6 and 10 gallon models.

See:

RV Water Heaters and Parts

I had to redo the plumbing and gas line routing because the new water heater had the connections in a different place.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan3326 View Post
We have a leak in our 1976 Sovereign (center bath) and I am not sure where to find a replacement water heater tank and what part #. Any suggestions?
On my '74, the original was a Bowen 10 gallon. Bowen is now Atwood, and the new water heater looked almost identical to the old one and was available at many places. LIke Herb, the gas entry moved on the new one

I got the manual 10 gallon one for $399 at Camping World. There is a remote start one available, but it was (I think) almost $200 more.

Your old one will have a plate with model number on it, and from that it's an easy jumpt to the new one.

ps: my brother still teases me telling me that it's not HOT water heater, it's a water heater. The water starts out cold. I tell him that it's too late for me, he should save himself.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
ps: my brother still teases me telling me that it's not HOT water heater, it's a water heater. The water starts out cold. I tell him that it's too late for me, he should save himself.
Your brother is correct.

There is no such thing as a "hot water heater".

But, there are zillions of "cold water heaters" in RV's, boats, Aircraft, buildings and our homes.

Just like you "do not" drive on a driveway, but you do park your cars and trucks on them.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Decent prices here and free shipping....

Atwood RV Water Heaters
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , Colorado
When is the remote start handy?

You have to go outside to turn on the gas anyways right? Is it for when you will be in one spot for a while with the gas turned on and you can turn the water heater on and off to save gas and electricity?
smaurer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaurer16 View Post
You have to go outside to turn on the gas anyways right? Is it for when you will be in one spot for a while with the gas turned on and you can turn the water heater on and off to save gas and electricity?
Darn good question. If all is working properly, the gas will stay lit once you light it, and yes, you DO have to go outside to turn it on.

We leave ours on all the time when we inhabit the TT, and of course, shut it off when we leave.

I didn't buy an LP/electric one because a) I'm too cheap and b) more features usually means more repairs.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Your brother is correct.

There is no such thing as a "hot water heater".

But, there are zillions of "cold water heaters" in RV's, boats, Aircraft, buildings and our homes.

Just like you "do not" drive on a driveway, but you do park your cars and trucks on them.

Andy
And........ behind your back is in front of you!
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign