Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2016, 04:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Reading , Berkshire
Removing the thermostat/valve on an Atwood 6 Gal water heater

I need to remove the thermostat/valve on my Atwood G6A-7 water heater but I'm struggling to get it to shift without causing damage. I vaguely remember reading about a purpose-made tool to do this job but I can't find that article any longer. The tool (I think) was made from steel angle section in the form of a wrench that gripped the opposite corners of the valve assembly.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here please?
ATurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Are you talking about the pressure relief valve?
I use a pipe wrench to take out the old one and a crescent to install the new.

Make sure you get the correct valve.

some good info here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...lve-30963.html
Old 01-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Yup, pipe wrench is the tool.

My valve had been installed with some type of pipe joint compound that hardened, almost cementing it in place. It did take a bit of force to break that bond.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The OP is talking about the water temperature compensating valve on the back of the tank, not the overpressure relief valve on the front.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Oops, he has the pilot model. The wrench Atwood uses is shown on page 7 of this manual:

http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...er-Service.pdf
Old 01-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Reading , Berkshire
Many thanks for the replies. Yes Siegmann, mine is the pilot (peasant) model!

Thanks for the link to the manual, I found that after posting but I still can't find anyone selling that tool. For that matter, I still can't find the tool I previously saw which was made from angled steel which gripped opposite corners of the valve body.

The thing that concerns me with using a pipe wrench is damage to the valve, but for now that appears to be my only option. I should add that the replacement valve has to be rescued from a 2nd hand heater so more importantly I need to remove that one without damage, I don't care too much about the faulty one.
ATurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
Oops, he has the pilot model. The wrench Atwood uses is shown on page 7 of this manual:

http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...er-Service.pdf
Learned something new. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATurner View Post
Many thanks for the replies. Yes Siegmann, mine is the pilot (peasant) model!

Thanks for the link to the manual, I found that after posting but I still can't find anyone selling that tool. For that matter, I still can't find the tool I previously saw which was made from angled steel which gripped opposite corners of the valve body.

The thing that concerns me with using a pipe wrench is damage to the valve, but for now that appears to be my only option. I should add that the replacement valve has to be rescued from a 2nd hand heater so more importantly I need to remove that one without damage, I don't care too much about the faulty one.
Have you tried calling your local RV repair facility? If they have the tool, and are not too far away, maybe they would help you out.

One other thought. If you do not have the tools to fabricate one out of angle iron, you might take the dimensions of the valve to Home Depot or a hardware store and look at the steel electrical receptacle boxes and the Simpson steel caps and bases for posts/columns. One may be a close fit over the valve and with little modification/cuts/spacers/etc could possible work. A long-shot though...