Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question with Pressure Pump

I have what appears to be the orginal pressure pump in my 62 Safari. I can't get water out the sinks or toilet via pump. I can get water through hose connect when hooked up. And I was able to "back flush" from that outside connection through the water tank and out its filling tube.
I did find a water shut-off valve from the tank to the kitchen sink-its open. The pump builds pressure, then stops. No air leaks. Is there something I'm missing? Maybe the is not building enough pressure? Please help!
surf'n safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Sounds like your pump is bad. You filled the water tank using the outside water supply through the system. Try this test. Make sure you have lots of water in your tank. If it is still full from your fill up, leave it like that. Disconnect the water hose running from the pump that is connected to the copper pipe that runs to the kitchen sink. NOT the one connected to the tank. This may be a short hose, but put it in a bucket and turn on the pump. If the pump works water will come out of the hose.

Actually you may have some blockage between the water pump and the pipe to the trailer. Try the test I described above first.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
S'nS
Did you try pressurizing the tank from a different source? There may be a Schraeder valve (like a tire stem) on the filler neck. Try pumping it up with an air hose at the gas station. If that works, then your pressure pump is bad. I have a diagram of the pressure pump, but I don't know if parts are still available.
If pressurizing with a different source doesn't work, look for a bad gasket in the filler neck cap which might be causing you to lose pressure.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:54 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thank you for the good advice. I did another test. Filled the tank, turned on the pump and placed my hand over the fill cap the the tank. Wow, lots of pressure! Clogged line? Another valve somewhere? A diverter of some kind?I just can't figure this out.
surf'n safari is offline   Reply With Quote