Old 06-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to desidou Send a message via Yahoo to desidou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I know what you mean, though our water heater was working correctly, I forgot to turn off the bypass so it would get warm, hot, then comfy, then, ice cold.....puzzled me for several trips until one day when I realized what a goof I was....
HA! we don't even know WHERE our Water heater bypass is -- you're ahead of the game in my book!

I wouldn't have even know you goofed.

Sorry, I'm just a bit overwhelmed at the things we're learning every day with this new Bambi. I thought we'd have it figured out by now -- YEAH RIGHT!

Thank goodness for these forums. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

AIR # 8298
desidou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by desidou
We opened the valves on the tanks again last Thursday when we picked it up for the weekend.

I just hope we can get this resolved before we take it out next weekend -- not looking forward to cold showers again!
Couple of Ideas.....

Are you sure the gas valves were opened all the way? The water heater is a high demand appliance. Also did you crack the valve and then finish opening it all the way? the OPD will sometimes close if there is a big out rush of gas.

Have you tried switching tanks with the change over switch? You could have a switch that is faulty or a tank that is acting odd.....

If none of this helps, I would begin to suspect the regulator. If it cannot ramp up to the necessary flow, it will starve the heater, and the poof will be all you hear.....

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by desidou
HA! we don't even know WHERE our Water heater bypass is -- you're ahead of the game in my book!

I wouldn't have even know you goofed.

Sorry, I'm just a bit overwhelmed at the things we're learning every day with this new Bambi. I thought we'd have it figured out by now -- YEAH RIGHT!

Thank goodness for these forums. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.
Well in the Bambi it's accessed from that rear storage....a real PITA to get to, unless for some reason, they changed access and you can get to it from under the bed matress.....all I know is until I figured it out, my showers went from to then back to like you and I gulp air.

Don't sweat the learning curve too much...you'll get the hang of it in no time at all....just take it slow.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I know what you mean, though our water heater was working correctly, I forgot to turn off the bypass so it would get warm, hot, then comfy, then, ice cold.....puzzled me for several trips until one day when I realized what a goof I was....
I did the EXACT same thing the first time we took the trailer out this year. At first I thought there was something wrong with the regulator in the shower, but just went through the simple obvious stuff first and low and behold!

Dennis
Old 06-06-2005, 03:44 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Lafayette , Indiana
I also had this same problem with mine. Just like thenewkid64 said
"The air shutter adjustment requires a screwdriver. It is the slotted tube before the burner inlet. You can loosen the screw, slide the tube and the heater should light"
I loosened a small screw and moved the shutter over to lessen the amount of air mixing with the gas. It's an easy fix and should work for you.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:28 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

be careful, we had a guy killed a few weeks ago from a faulty trailer waterheater................
Old 06-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Sounds like it could be oil from the LP tanks that may have gotten in the lines has fouled the regulator of the water heater causing it to stick and malfunction.
This happened to my furnace regulator causing it to have to be replaced.
Be careful where you buy LP and make sure that your tanks get treated when refilled to dry out any excess oil that might accumulate in them over time.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:25 AM   #22
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
David.

I've purchased propane from Ace and some places that are combo liquor stores where the fellow comes out to fill the tank while smoking a cigar. I usually try to stand back a few miles while he is doing this.

Could you explain whaat you mean by "treating" your tanks? Normally when one tank emptys, I just fill it back up. So far no problems, but I also don't want any.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Old 06-30-2005, 11:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I have been told that LP gas, by the fact that it is a petroleum product has oil in it....thus the designation liquified petroleum gas.
Due to many factors...temp, humidity, condition of tanks, etc.....the dealer may suck some of this oil sediment into your tank when you get a fill up. I have been told that it is not a big deal to "treat" your tank when it is filled up to dissipate any oil you may have aquired in your tank. I do not know exactly how they do this. The dealer should be treating his master tank, but some don't and they pocket the difference I am told.
Anyway, I have been told by the service people at Billy Sim's Trailer Town, an Airstream Dealer, that my furnace valve was a victim, over a 20 year period of time, of buildup in the valve of oil from the LP. They told me they had seen oil buildup foul regulators at the tank, as well as furnace valves, refrigerator valves, and water heater valves.
They told me to ask that my tank be purged of oil every time I had it filled in the future. I have not had to have a tank filled since I had the furnace repair in April, so no chance to confirm what I have been told with the LP people.
So....that is just my 2 cents....and I was hoping that maybe someone would know more than me about it, and if my informatoin was incorrect would provide correction for my benefit, and for everyone else as well.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote