Old 02-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Poor water Pressure

I just purchased a 2016 Cloud and the electric pump pressure appears to be extremely low. Dismal pressure. After shutting faucet off it requires 12-15 seconds to recover pressure which seems a bit long. Sounds as though pump may be cavitating? Both bathroom and kitchen sink same results. Hook up outside water source and no problem. Is there GPM that this has a measured output? Any help?

Regards Mike

mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
If you have let the pump run long enough to get all the air out of the lines, it is likely there is an air leak at the input to the pump. Let the pump run for at least a minute, maybe two, until the faucet stops spitting air. With no air in the system, the pump should shut off in a few seconds, less than 5. If you can't get any improvement, check the connections at the input to the pump. There is a strainer at the input to the pump. It may not be tightly connected to the pump, the strainer may be cracked, or the line coming into the strainer may be loose. The pump is often under the hanging locker, accessible by lifting a panel in the floor of the locker.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
I'll check that out I found the pump and all appears well and I'm aware of the strainer they made a point of that when I bought it. I appreciated your imput. I felt 12-15 seconds was a bit of eternity. I'll post my findings with my resolve. I'm still loving this thing.
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would agree with the thoughts that there is a leak on the intake side of the pump, either the line, the strainer, or the pump connection.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:20 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by mcomeaux View Post
Sounds as though pump may be cavitating?
Diaphragm pumps don't cavitate; that's a phenomenon associated with impeller pumps and indicates that they're turning too fast for the fluid they're pumping.

I have to agree with my esteemed fellow responders that it's probably an air leak on the suction side of the pump. It's not uncommon for the pump inlet line to be loose, especially if the pump has been winterized by disconnecting the suction side to run antifreeze through the pump.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
This has happened to us when we let the freshwater level get so low that the pump started sucking air. It will take a few uses before the pump has purged all of the air bubbles apparently trapped in the diaphragm.

We just open the hot AND cold faucets completely in the kitchen and bathroom sinks and let the pump run full-bore for a few seconds. Repeat or run pump longer, as necessary, until all air bubbles are purged.

In the future, fill freshwater tank before level gets too low.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote