Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Herndon , Virginia
Unhappy Poor hot water flow - new Airstream

I hope this a newbie problem and does not require repair ...

We recently picked up our new 2015 Airstream International from storage. The dealer had it winterized with antifreeze before putting the TV in storage. I de-winterized it myself by:
  • filling fresh water tank to about 50%
  • running taps, toilet, and shower to flush antifreeze to empty fresh water tank
  • refill fresh water tank

The following symptoms occur whether using the fresh water tank or with a city water hookup:
  • great cold water flow from taps, toilet, and shower
  • really slow hot water flow (less than 1/10th the volume of the cold water flow)

Things I tried (without success):

* opening and then closing bypass valve (water flows to ground, closing valve does not restore good hot water flow)

Any ideas?

Thank you very much for any insights.
AirFoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
The hot water heater on my 2014 FC has 2 valves. One that when open dumps the water on the ground and the other valve is the bypass. On mine the bypass has a yellow handle and the other valve is white. Sounds like u need to open the bypass so the hot water heater will fill up
Good luck , Sandy

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Your bypass is closed. The value your operating is the drain value. Your only getting water though the mixing value. You tank heats water to a high temp then mixes it with cold to make your 6 gallon tank act like a 10 gallon tank.

I would sanitize the water system. Instructions are in the book.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Herndon , Virginia
Thank you HiHo.

Your response triggered my looking at exactly where the water was leaking from when I opened the bypass valve. The drain plug was removed from the water heater. Blush.

Glad it was a stupid newbie problem. Thanks for your quick response!
AirFoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Another hot water quirk you may run into is while using the hot in the shower it seems to run out out very quickly. I found that it was so hot it created a vapor lock and did not flow for about 30 seconds but by moving the mixing valve to full cold for a few seconds and back to cold hot mix the hot water again flowed. When soaped up and cold 30 seconds can seem a lot longer!

Congratulations on your new AS!
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote